Dimmer Hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone Help with this,
I moved into a house where the kitchen/dining room have spot lights controlled with a dimmer switch - different dimmer switches for kitchen and dining room.
the kitchen lights have never dimmed and the dining room lights dimmed until recently. Each halogen (12v 50W) is connected to its own transformer. last week i turned the dining room lights on and all 4 transformers appear to have blown! (at least £15 each!)

I went out and bought some more, installed them and now the lights attached no longer Dim.
Are there specific transformers i should get?
For all 4 transformers to go at once does it sound like a dimmer switch problem?

I had assumed that all electrics in the kitchen/diner would be fine since they were installed on Carol Vordermans Better homes for the previous owners.

any help greatyl appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to check that the transformers are dimmable - not all are.
Secondly you need to ensure that your dimmers are suitable for inductive loads, otherwise they will not last very long. It may be that you have a dimmer switch problem, rather than all 4 transformers going simultaneously, however if they're not dimmable you'll have to replace them anyway.
Check for voltage up at the transformers, that'll tell you which end the problem is.
Good luck.

Thanks for the help Teachergeezer,

I think that the previous transformers were dimmable - and so will try and get the same ones!
however all four previous transformers definitely went at once so i may have a problem at both ends.

cheers

How did you decide that the transformers had failed, and not the switch?

Not dimming is a sign of dimmer failure.

Have you got:

1) Dimmable transformers?

2) Dimmers that can handle transformers?

3) The right leading-edge/trailing-edge match?

As for CV - an intelligent and attractive lady, but probably knows b*gg*r-all about electrics...

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
As for CV - an intelligent and attractive lady, but probably knows b*gg*r-all about electrics...
so she probably didn't install them herself . . . . :rolleyes:

ElectricNick said:
Thanks for the help Teachergeezer,

I think that the previous transformers were dimmable - and so will try and get the same ones!
however all four previous transformers definitely went at once so i may have a problem at both ends.

cheers
it's not only the transformers that need to be dimmable but also that the dimmer itself can handle transformers check that this is the case otherwise you could be in for another expensive disaster with the new lot burning out also, If possible, are you able to check the old transformers It's highly likely that the input or mains side of the trannies have gone open circuit and this points to a non compatible dimmer switch ie one that cannot handle inductive loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back