Potterton Suprima 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently our boiler has developed a desire to trip of for no appartent reason. When it does, it doesn't bang nor clatter, but simply dies. The time between the boiler tripping can be anything from 10mins to 1week. But every time it dutifully resets and starts first time. the problem is that it now cold, and the boiler has tripped out in the middle of the night. A plumber was out and he suggested the three port valve, but never came back to me to confirm. Please help.
Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you have a soldering iron and some solder. I suggest you re-solder the off-pcb connectors. They have a tendency to crack away from the sockets. This can be fixed by a new dollop of solder. My suprima 60 was doing the same until I re-soldered the off-pcb connection sockets. If you look very carefully at the connectors you can see the hairline cracks. What a piece of cr*p suprima has proved to be.

Are the new Suprima HE boilers any better?

Nah I think the new HE is fairly the same. The new PCB for suprima is a total rewire of the boiler. Not just a PCB anymore. Part alone will cost approx £185! Obviously Potterton have finally admitted that the PCB's were RUBBISH! Shame they are not going to replace all the crappy old ones FOC! Now that would be something.

gazthepottertonengineer said:
dont bother just get pcb kit part number 5111603 fitted by a competent corgi registered engineer :D
Note that the engineer has to be competent, but does not have to be CORGI registered.

Can't let that go- He has to be corgi if he isn't the boiler's owner!

ChrisR said:
Can't let that go- He has to be corgi if he isn't the boiler's owner!
I've never known you to be wrong before ChrisR, but, according to the Gas Regulations, my information is accurate. CORGI also share my interpretation :eek:

Your technically right if hes fitting it for nothing but if hes getting paid ? you are wrong end of story ;)
I don't think winking makes any difference to the fact that CORGI does not agree with you Gaz.

wot so there saying that they are charging people to be members so they can fix boilers and you dont need to be corgi registered to work on boilers DOH you do realise you need to work on the gas valve to fit this kit and you need to remove the room sealed casing :rolleyes:

wot so there saying that they are charging people to be members so they can fix boilers and you dont need to be corgi registered to work on boilers
I don't know what CORGI say about charging their members - you'll need to ask them about that. My post had nothing to do with charging, so if you have a point to make you'll need to be more specific.

A deer, a female deer?

you do realise you need to work on the gas valve to fit this kit
No, I didn't realise that, and am now quite interested to know why, especially since the MI does not specify any work on the gas valve.

...and you need to remove the room sealed casing :rolleyes:
Hm, the term "room sealed casing" doesn't appear anyone in the MI, so I suspect you're making it up. Clearly the Suprima 40 is a room sealed (balanced flue) gas appliance, but the squidgy seal on the front cover doesn't act as the hermetic seal that you imply.

BTW, rolling your eyes, much like winking, has no bearing on whether or not it's legal to install the Electronic Control Board kit on the Suprima 40.

kevplumb said:
if you open the case you are breaking into the flue system

so

YOUR WRONG :rolleyes:
This rolling eyes thing is a bit odd - does it arise from some kind of clique?

Regarding the idea of a flue system, this is stretching a point beyond the bounds of credibility. The MI says this:

[code:1]
1. Installation Requirements

(sections 1.1 to 1.6 omitted for clarity)

1.7 Flue Systems

Horizontal

• The flue/terminal assembly supplied is suitable for a wall thickness of between 150 mm and 400 mm.

• A flue/terminal assembly suitable for a wall thickness of up to 600 mm is also available.

• Both the flue/terminal assemblies are telescopic and the minimum lengths (150 mm/6 in) are achieved by cutting.

• 1 m flue extensions are available.

• Under no circumstances should the total flue length exceed - 3.4 m, 30 - 70 models.

- 2.4 m, 80 models.

Vertical

1. Twin Tube system. 30 - 80 models.

Maximum actual length 7 m (7 extensions) Maximum equivalent resistance = 7 m

2. Vertical Concentric system.

30 - 70 models - Maximum actual length 3.4 m, equivalent resistance = 3.4 m. 80 models - Maximum actual length 2.4 m, equivalent resistance = 2.4 m.

Vertex

• The maximum primary flue length is 3.4 m.

• The maximum secondary flue length is:
30 model 5 m
40 model 5.5 m
50 & 60 models 6 m

Note: The flue lengths quoted refer to straight lengths. For the effects of bends and offsets see Section 2.2 'Install the Flue' or the appropriate flue instructions.

[/code:1]

Note that this description relates only to what everyone, at all other times, regards as the flue system. Just in case there was another meaning on the forum, I've searched for the words "flue system", but found nothing of relevance, so you haven't given any information that shows I'm wrong.

So that all readers can understand why you think you're right, can you quote the section from the relevant legislation that prohibits replacement of the PCB by a non-registered engineer? Also, can you give me any idea why you disagree with CORGI's interpretation of the law in this context?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back