Wiring up an electric cooker and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate any help on this. Am at present looking to wire up an electric hob and electric oven in my kitcken. Underneath the sink I have a large 2 core wire, which is coming, I presume, from the large red switch on the wall, beside the sink. To connect up the appliances, can I daisy chain the 2 appliances from this wire, or do I need a seperate circuit, back to the CU, for each appliance?

Sponsored Links
depends on ratings. use a cooker outlet and you might be able to get feed and 2 load cables into it. just make sure the cable can take the load and MCB/fuse is adequatly rated

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to check the rating of the fuse on the switch by the sink, or the rating of the MCB on the consumer unit? Or both???

Sponsored Links
The large red switch - is this a cooker switch? If so, it doesnt contain a fuse. If it does contain a fuse, you cannot connect a cooker of any sort to this (unless its just a single oven, by itself), as its an FCU. However, you need to check the rating of the circuit protective device (fuse/MCB) to be sure it is capable of providing the current nessecary for the appliances you are connecting.

You also need to check the appliances to be sure of their ratings, so you can determine the above.

Open up the large red switch - how many cables there? You need to know the mm² size of the cable, not just "large" - that wont do.

Curious as to why the cable is under the sink. Was there ever a cooker wired to this before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back