Fitting Thermostatic valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone offer me some simple steps for me to replace valves on 2 radiators with thermostatic ones?

I seem to think that a good way to avoid draining the system is to place a bung in the feeder tank up in the loft - does this mean that as long as the CH is off, and I close down the radiator valves, I could take them off completelt without having a flood for example?

Sponsored Links
Don't bung it - you are asking for problems.

1) Drain system
2) Remove valves to be replaced
3) Replace them
4) Fill system

I believe BG allow their engineers 6 minutes for each change. So if you start now should be done by lunchtime.

kevplumb said:
Don't bung it - you are asking for problems.

why :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

'cos if you have to ask how to change a rad valve it is very, very unlikely that you will have the necessary equipment to successfully bung a system, or the tools to quickly remove and replace the valves, or the ability to quickly contain an unexpected avalanche of water spreading across your new laminate floor!

Anyone will know just how quickly a simple job can turn into an absolute disaster causing major damage and incovenience - even if you are fully prepared for all eventualities. Therefore, I would have thought that the best advice for a novice is to remove the possibility of completely messing the job up by saving the extra 90 minutes or so it will take to drain and refill.

Or maybe I'm wrong - I dunno.

:)

Sponsored Links
Does anyone reckon they have a way of bunging the tank connectors which have internal ribs? Only way I know is a big ball of plumbers mate - messy. Anyone got cones which work on those?

I've got 14 ideas on how to do it perfectly - none of them tried :rolleyes: .

ChrisR said:
Does anyone reckon they have a way of bunging the tank connectors which have internal ribs? Only way I know is a big ball of plumbers mate - messy. Anyone got cones which work on those?

I've got 14 ideas on how to do it perfectly - none of them tried :rolleyes: .

What about a very tough inflatable, sausage shaped baloon? or actually two of them cross linked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back