Fitting a thermostatic valve to a rad on a combi system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The smallest bedroom in our house gets too hot if the radiator's on, so that our son falls asleep instead of doing his college work!

We have a combi system with a Potterton Combi 80 in the garage. How can I fit a thermostatic valve to this bedroom radiator in place of the existing one?

Won't water come pouring out when I unscrew it, or will shutting off the lockshield at the other end be enough, providing the heating's off and I catch the water draining out of the rad itself?

There's clearly no header tank, so the 'bung' method's a non-starter.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Mick

Sponsored Links
Turn the boiler off and via a drain cock under a radiator or the boiler drain the system down, opening the air bleed valves on each upstairs rad.

When water stops coming out of drain you should be able to remove the old valve and fit the new one.

Don't forget to add new inhibitor before refilling the system.

OK thanks, gas4u.

There are two valves under the boiler, 1 with a black plastic 'flag' handle, the other with a red iron wheel. My guess is the black one's the feed and the red iron one's the drain, so I'd turn off both, disconnect the linking pipe from the black one and connect it to a hose leading to the house drain, open the rad bleeds and then turn on the red one.

How/where do I add the rust inhibitor?

Sorry to be a pain.

Regards,
Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back