Halstead Ace High

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed flat recently to find the 2 yearish old Halstead boiler did not work. After replacing quite a few parts it now works but "locks out" if the burner has not been on within the last half hour or so. It can take up to 10 resets before the burner will fire up. It's driving me insane and obviously I cannot use the timer function over night etc.

The guy that replaced most of the parts can't figure it out. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Acelow

Sponsored Links
Now what i have to say regarding this matter will probably not please you. However, i have come across a fair few Halstead boilers and i feel compelled to give you the lowdown on this manufacturer.
Halstead boilers are made cheaply for companies like your B&Qs and Wickes. They are renound for being problematic. Now, theses boilers sell at around £400 - £500 pound which means after B&Q have had their cut of the profit Halstead have had very little. So how do they make their profit? Parts. Where usually component like P.C.Bs and diverter valves cost £100 - £150 each Halstead componets can be double after all they have to make their money somewhere.
Now, with regards to the problem you are encountering it sounds like it is on the electrical side of the boiler. Therefore, it can be very difficult to trace the fault . For example, is it a faulty P.C.B or thermistor etc.
I believe you have two options. Either get the manufacturers out to do the repair- they come and agree a price for the repair and put on as many parts as required until it is fixed. Or, you cut your losses (it is a Halstead and you will end up paying a fortune out on it!) and buy a Baxi, valiant or Worcester Bosch.

Thanks for the advice, I'll save up my pennies before next winter.

Cheers
Acelow

Ah Halstead. Great.
I had a row with the rep once. Was buying a Solo2 and he asked why not a Halstead Best? I tols him just because U call it the Best don't mean it is! He didn't find that at all funny...... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Is it only me or why do I get more problems with Baxi, POTTERTON and Worcester boilers than Halstead. And no Its not because there are more of them. I've been putting in Halsteads for a few years now and other makes and they are just as reliable as anybodies, maybe except Biasi, mmmm!

your are right mate, halsteads when they are running are lovely, good delivering and reliable etc... its just when they go wrong, it seems to me, you always have to replace several components.

maybe I am just lazy and find that you have to think more while fault finding them. Pottertons, Baxi's WB etc always seem to only have the same fault over and over again (PCB fan etc)

I finally managed to get the old dear working.

Don't ask me how I figured it out but if I unscrew the bottom two screws slightly on the large metallic cover on the front of the boiler (not the white outside cover) the boiler start up first time.

It must be something to do with air getting into it or something.

If this is dangerous I'd appreciate somebody letting me know, but I've been using it like this no problem for 6 months.

Cheers
Ace not so low anymore

Yes it is dangerous. Screw them back up and get a corgi engineer to come and service the boiler. Its an air flow problem.

These boilers may not be the best but i find them so easy to work on and fault find i actually quite like them. Atleast they dont overcomplicate things.

rob

if it works with the cover undone I would check the fan venturi is not partially blocked. My mate is the local Halstead repair agent and he reckons that they are not a bad little boiler for what you pay and if installed/commissioned correctly

Yes it is dangerous. Screw them back up and get a corgi engineer to come and service the boiler. Its an air flow problem.

These boilers may not be the best but i find them so easy to work on and fault find i actually quite like them. Atleast they dont overcomplicate things.

rob
having the same problem here had a water leak and damaged the pcb had new master cylinder to cure leak and new pcb board and now it locks out when boiler turns on if u take the front cover off it works fine. The corgi plumer has now replaced fan and the problem of it locking out is still there when u start up unless u leave the front cover off to the fan and boiler area. what do i do now. Is it a faulty board or my vertical air vent is blocked????.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back