Puma 80 CH problems Hot water but No central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My potterton puma 80 boiler has hot water but no CH.

When CH is turned on boiler fires up but then it is shut off.The gas pilot light is also turned off. When CH is turned on I dont think the pump is working, there is power to it but I cannot feel it working. How can I check the pump? Should I definitely feel the pump working.

I have released some water from the PRV and have now tried to re-pressurise it however as I let water in (pressure gauge is on 0) water starts to spurt out of the automatic air vent! Im not sure where the problem is.

Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
Firstly... why release water from the PRV?

Another part that will need repairing or changing now, and those alum screws more often than not, will need drilling out.

if you say pump is not working and you have power to it, why not try a new head first.

If pump operates then probable divetrtor fault (poor on this boiler).

On the front of the divertor valve is a brass nut. Undo (once mains is off and c/h boiler is drained) and remove wax capsule and push rod.

Lubricate with silicone grease and replace.

Poor boilers but for some reason I love 'em.

Powerful cat thing I guess. I will never turn a Jaguar boiler down aswell.

Dave (who does not drive a jaguar)

Hi,

I replaced the PRV not long ago. Im not sure if the pump is working or not. Power is definitely there but I cannot feel or hear the pump spinning. Are these pumps very quiet? Would I definitely know if its working?

Thanks

Ian

I have used ascrewdriver against the pump and I now thin it is running OK.

I guess my problem is the diverter valve but why do I get water coming out of the Automatic air vent when I try to re-fill and pressurise the CH system?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
because its not shutting off and needs replacement

pound to a penny your wax capsule diverter valve needs replacing

corgiman said:
because its not shutting off and needs replacement

pound to a penny your wax capsule diverter valve needs replacing

So what you are saying is that since the diverter valve is not switching over to CH when I try to fill the system the water has nowhere to go so it comes out of the automatic air vent.

Thanks for your help I will see if I can replace the diverter valve tommorrow.

Ian

no the air vent is letting by nothing to do with the diverter valve

you need a new one (AAV0

the reason you have no ch is nowt to do with filling it or the leaking air vent its the diverter valve not melting and allowing the heated water into the system

be care in replacing it if you are not a trained person as they are a git. do not just replace the wax capsule, i used to untill they started failing on me, change the whole thing

corgiman said:
no the air vent is letting by nothing to do with the diverter valve

you need a new one (AAV0

the reason you have no ch is nowt to do with filling it or the leaking air vent its the diverter valve not melting and allowing the heated water into the system

be care in replacing it if you are not a trained person as they are a git. do not just replace the wax capsule, i used to untill they started failing on me, change the whole thing

Currently the pressure is 0 as earlier I let water out of the PRV valve. Now when I try to fill the system it spurts out of the automatic air vent why is this happening? I think my CH is not working due to diverter valve as you say. With a new diverter valve I will need to fill the system and currently water just comes out this air vent. Do I need a new air vent as well? Should this valve only let air out and not water?

My brother in law fits boilers so he has offered to come & fit new parts for me so Im trying to decide which bits I need so that I can buy the parts in advance.

Thankyou for your help

Ian

Hello
Don't replace the diveter valve just yet, do you have a leaking or dripping tap in the house, if you are not sure turn off cold mains into house and then fire boiler for heating, does heating work now?
Cheers

Welcome KevinfromBaxiPotterton.
Question ? How many heateam engineers does it take to rule this site. LOL

KevinfromBaxiPotterton said:
Hello
Don't replace the diveter valve just yet, do you have a leaking or dripping tap in the house, if you are not sure turn off cold mains into house and then fire boiler for heating, does heating work now?
Cheers

There is no leaking taps. I cannot try the heating now as I need to fill/pressurise the system however when I try this water comes out of the automatic air vent.

Also the hot water works ok until it is turned off, then either steam or hot water or both starts spurting out of the air vent for a short period of time.

I need to check at the parts shop if I can buy parts & return the ones I dont need as my brother inlaw thinks bothe the diverter valve and air vent need replacing.

Thanks for any advice.

Ian

You certainly need a new auto air vent. and probably a pressure relief valve (you opened yours therefore it's likely to leak).
You may not be able to return any parts you buy. Boiler bod/savvy plumber would be able to diagnose clogged/ failed pump or diverter valve. Both a bit expensive to buy on spec.

ChrisR said:
You certainly need a new auto air vent. and probably a pressure relief valve (you opened yours therefore it's likely to leak).
You may not be able to return any parts you buy. Boiler bod/savvy plumber would be able to diagnose clogged/ failed pump or diverter valve. Both a bit expensive to buy on spec.

Problem is that my boiler bod cannot visit me until saturday and spares shop is likely to close at lunchtime. So I have been chatting with him via phone & getting info from this site to make a best guess & buy the parts which may be faulty.

I think the pump is running as screwdriver test from pump to ear produces whining sound. Both CH flow/return pipes close to the bolier stay cold other side of diverter valve pipe gets hot so I think Valve stuck shut.

I know I need new vent but I cannot understand how water leaks from this on filling CH as it looks like the vent is on the hot water pipes and I thought these were isolated from the CH pipes.

Thanks again

Ian

Listen to the experts on here!

AAV needs replacing. Wax capsule needs repairing / replacing by your 'bod'

The AAV is on the heating side of your combi.

If you dont underatand then lie back and trust us!

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back