Running oil boiler 24/7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well not quite, but I've just moved into a country house and it's freezing, so I'm running the heating (oil fired) probably 18 hours on/off (via room stats). Goodness knows when the system was last serviced, but I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke" but I was wondering if I'm reducing it's remaining life by running it with such a high demand?

Sponsored Links
ok, you carry on with your firm belief. So you NEVER change the oil in your car 'til it breaks down? You NEVER change the tyres 'til they go flat? You NEVER have the brakes done 'til they wont stop the thing? Then WHY do you think a boiler churning out 20kW is going to be ok without attention?

would you rather

A: have it serviced, with minimal downtime

B: wait tl it breaks, then go a week without heat whilst waiting for new boiler

Oilman: Geewhiz - thanks for the lesson in customer service. Do you rain on everyones parade?

Andy: Thanks, a more balanced response. I wish I could be confident in getting a service without the sales pitch and astronimical bill.

Oh, and PS: I only asked. If we were all blessed with such knoweldge these forums wouldn't need to exist.

Sponsored Links
well , at least check its clean inside, a build up of soot on the heat exchanger, will prevent heat reaching jacket, and therefore stat sensor, to turn burner off at reqd temp.. we find it fires and fires and fires and.....and then you have melted baffle syndrome.

but agreed if it sounds ok. it normally is. but id still whip access plate off for peak. :(

I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum seem to have chips on their shoulders going by their sneering sarcastic replies !

Quite a lot of those sort of replies come from plumbers, perhaps their inflated hourly rates have gone to their heads ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back