joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for a school project i need to make a cabinet wat are the best joins i can use to put it together, i am using MDF material :confused:

Sponsored Links
Commercial furniture makers use dowel and glue or KD (knock-down, cam and dowel) fasteners for flat-pack furniture. Smaller workshops use biscuit joints (look-up Lamello, biscuit jointer, etc) or sometimes screw items together using a glued joint and carcass screws.

If you can get access to one I'd suggest using a biscuit jointer.

Scrit

i agree with scrit

dowels cams or buiscuts or you could machine dovetaills with a router and jig

the cheapest option is [assuming its half inch-12mm]mdf is
6x1.5"screws a 3 or 3.2mm drill avoid the 25mm each end
butt joint the components screws every 50 to 75mm pilot the full depth of the screw through both components
use the pozi srewdriver bit for your countersink glue and screw together hand tighten the last 2 turns

if the edge does delaminate slightly push glue into the crack ,unscrew the screw a few turns block and clamp then tighten screw

You could do a lot worse than use the joints that you have been taught at school, unless you bunked off the woodwork classes or weren't listening :evil:

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
You could do a lot worse than use the joints that you have been taught at school, unless you bunked off the woodwork classes or weren't listening :evil:
Which joints would they be, John?

I don't know, I wasn't in his class.

But if, for example, the teacher has spent three weeks demonstrating and instructing use of the biscuit jointer, he will be disappointed with screwed butt joints.

JohnD said:
I don't know, I wasn't in his class.

But if, for example, the teacher has spent three weeks demonstrating and instructing use of the biscuit jointer, he will be disappointed with screwed butt joints.
Just curious - I was taught mortise and tenon joints, but then MDF wasn't invented until later....... :LOL: Do they teach the use of biscuit jointers these days? And why should you need to do what the teacher says? After all industry doesn't work the way teacher says..... ;)

Scrit

I guess, if you wanted to earn some coursework marks, it would help to demonstrate that you'd paid attention to what you were taught.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back