Worcester 24cdi diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having some problems with the hot water supply from the boiler I have replaced the Diverter Valve and all was working well for about 4 weeks and now it has gone back to its old ways. When running the hot water it is ok for a about 3mins then it goes cold and then it warms up again. And then it continues to happen. This happens on the taps even when you reduce the pressure. Any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
Blocked hw heat exchanger maybe?, what did it look like when you whipped it off?

It was a bit grim when I took it out but I put some descaler through it and gave it a good clean and it looked pretty good.

Easy things to look at first,, is temp control turned almost to max on front of boiler ? is burner light showing when the H/W goes cold?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry not telling you to suck eggs, with the above. Does flow on central heating get warm / hot whilst running the hot taps. The reason is, if you have just changed the , diaphragm and not the complete unit, you may have a dodgy diaphram that is stretched slightly. Had 1 last week. Does burner go to high gas rate in H/W mode.

MOD 2

please use the edit key

Sponsored Links
The temp control is up to max and the burner light stays on even when the water cools down. I have replaced the whole diverter valve not just the diaphragm

with the system cold and CH off ,
put your hand on the Flow pipe to the radiators (cold)
Now open the hot tap and see if the flow pipe gets hot (indicating faulty div vlv).
if the burner is staying on with water running cold the heat must be going somehwere!
plate can be blocked on the primary side causing bnr to go onn /off

Phil698, did you replace the diverter yourself, or get a boiler guy to do it ?

If you did it yourself then utmost respect to you, its a job which many engineers shy away from!

is it harder to change than on other boilers ?

They're OK once you have done a few and you know what to do, but 24cdi diverter virgins can come unstuck easily.

Lots of pins and small screws to boot under the fridge...

Its the stupid pushfit o ring leaks worse on this worcester thgan any other for some reason.

I got an apprentice to do one last week.
He did it in 1 hour with very little help.
I was well impressed.

Thats not bad, teach him to do a highflow dhw hx in 2 and I'll throw him as much subbying work as he can handle!

I fitted the diverter valve myself and what a pain in the butt that was. never attempted anything like that before but got the manufacturers manual and followed that it took me about 3 hours to get it off and then about 2 hours to get it back on again and off course it leaked about 4 times then that stupid filling loop kept leaking but eventually did manage to get it tight and not leaking. Got it down to a fine art now and can get it off and on in about 20 mins. Will try suggestion of the flow pipe and let you know. Many thanks everyone

New o rings every time and all with a smear of lsx will stop the leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back