Dishwasher drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect a dishwasher to existing plumbing. There is already a washing machine present. I can tee off the existing taps OK, but how can I tee off the existing drainage? Do I need two traps or can I swan-neck into a single one?

Sponsored Links
it would be better if each has its own stand pipe.

just cut the existing waste pipe in half and put in a t piece with a vertical pipe for your new appliance

Which half of the split pipe needs to have the trap? I can't see an easy way to put a T section in on the half closest to the outlet.

depends where is easiest. the trap is there to stop smells coming back up the pipe from outside / drain

Sponsored Links
hi, i have the same query as before, i have an existing drainage system with the washign machine, is it possible to connect the dishwasher using the same drainage system with a tee connector or something like that. Please advise

Thanks
vanita

Yes but as Breezer's said "best to have it own pipe".If you have the w/machine and dishwasher on at the same time you might find the waste water will back pressure backward as it can't cope with the volume depending how your waste pipe is plumb in.

In the end I found a fitting in a local hardware shop, which clamps on to the existing drainage pipe (32 or 40mm), and a cutting tool is supplied so that you cut a hole for the new pipe in exactly the right spot, and can then fit a spigot to attach the second pipe to.

As the washing machine and dishwasher won't ever be used at the same time this works fine for me.

The fitting I found is made by a Company called "Oracstar" based in Northampton, Tel 01604 702181

th troble with spiggots is they tend to catch "things" this acumilates over time and eventually blocks up

Agreed,you're better off putting a t-piece connector which is design to push the water along the pipe instead of it hitting at 90 degree and going left & right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back