mouldy old stone walls, what to do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need some advice please

I have bad mould on my walls. The walls are very thick old stone (house is approx 200 years old) I have just washed them with bleach and water (about 10:1), and don't know what to do next. There still remains some black staining.

Do i need to rinse the walls now they are dry?

What kind of paint can i put on?

Will the mould show through?

Do i need to do anything else to the walls before i paint?

Thanks
Jojo

Sponsored Links
You can get an 'anti mould' solution that you paint on before you paint it, but mould will only grow where there is damp. You'll have to sort out thew rising damp problem to get a complete cure.

joe

jojo-c said:
Hi i need some advice please

I have bad mould on my walls. The walls are very thick old stone (house is approx 200 years old) I have just washed them with bleach and water (about 10:1), and don't know what to do next. There still remains some black staining.

Do i need to rinse the walls now they are dry?

What kind of paint can i put on?

Will the mould show through?

Do i need to do anything else to the walls before i paint?

Thanks
Jojo

Erm inside or out :?:
If outside what kind of stone, Portland or other type of limestone. Not really supposed to paint as it will just flake off, pressure wash.
If building is 200 yrs old is it listed ? carefull what you do without seeking advice from council/heritage people.
Inside! for this I think limewash yuk. to help it breath but try dulux trade helpline its free.

Thanks for your help,

The mould is on the inside, quite bad in the upstairs bedrooms.

I don't know much about DIY (as you might have guessed), but would like to decorate one of the bedrooms as a surprise for my partner - who is working abroad for a couple of weeks.

I asked in a DIY shop today and was given some 3in1 anti mould preparation that you brush on (supposed to stop the mould coming back?),
and a tin of stain block to paint on afterwards, and was told that i could just emulsion on top of all this. Does that sound right?

The paint layers are coming off the walls in patches, exposing bits of plaster, i've removed the loose bits and have filled over those patches so the walls will be smooth. Will filler 'stick' to plaster ok?

The building is not listed by the way,

Jojo

Sponsored Links
jojo-c said:
Thanks for your help,

The mould is on the inside, quite bad in the upstairs bedrooms.

I don't know much about DIY (as you might have guessed), but would like to decorate one of the bedrooms as a surprise for my partner - who is working abroad for a couple of weeks.

I asked in a DIY shop today and was given some 3in1 anti mould preparation that you brush on (supposed to stop the mould coming back?),
and a tin of stain block to paint on afterwards, and was told that i could just emulsion on top of all this. Does that sound right?

The paint layers are coming off the walls in patches, exposing bits of plaster, i've removed the loose bits and have filled over those patches so the walls will be smooth. Will filler 'stick' to plaster ok?

The building is not listed by the way,

Jojo

Should be fine jo, Usually I make up a strong solution of THIN BLEACH 50/50 not the thick foamy stuff and leave it overnight, Use a nylon brush btw for bleach. Usually all gone next day, I dont swill off. Prime any exposed plaster/filler with thinned emulsion first then a couple of coats of a more round (thicker) emulsion.
Stain block ok for any watermarks etc but dont be tempted to stain block the mould it will just grow behind it.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back