Replacing stair carpet with hard covering

Sponsored Links
I would like to replace my carpet stairs to wooden stairs is it possible and will its be to code?

Have you taken a look at what the stairs are made of? Plywood, OSB, Paricle board etc.
If the stairs are plywood and you can strip any paint and sand the treads, stain to the color of your choice and finish with two or three coats of satin finish polyurethane. Make sure you light sand between coats. I have just completed this project and the stairs look great. Replacing the actual stairs is something to seriously reconsider unless this house is not occupied and you have the time, patience, skill and$$.
Good luck

Sponsored Links
If you have OSB tread material your stair was probably design to allow for up to 3/4" carpet and underlayment thickness. If so strip the carpet - cut off existing tread nosing, add 1/4" venneer (Oak is popular)to face of risers. Then use a stair tread material that has been plowed to 3/4" thickness at rear (nosing left 1"+_thick).
Or just use 3/4" stair tread material 3/4" thick and add cove mold under nosing edge to add strength and give the stair a more traditional look. If you can't find tread material use this link for Loeffler stair

http://hometown.aol.com/jlad57/myhomepage/business.html
we supply all types of tread retrofit packages, including those open or curved.

I have already done this. I was tired of trying to vacuum pet hair off of the carpeted stairs.

After I pulled the carpet up, I found that the stairs were made of pine, and were quite a mess.

After we sanded the stairs quite a bit, we stained them an oak stain, to match the rest of my hardwood floor. We painted the stair backs white, then put molding between the back of the stair and the stair itself. After putting about 3 coats of poly on, they look pretty darn good!

Anonymous said:
Have you taken a look at what the stairs are made of? Plywood, OSB, Paricle board etc.
If the stairs are plywood and you can strip any paint and sand the treads, stain to the color of your choice and finish with two or three coats of satin finish polyurethane. Make sure you light sand between coats. I have just completed this project and the stairs look great. Replacing the actual stairs is something to seriously reconsider unless this house is not occupied and you have the time, patience, skill and$$.
Good luck

can you paint the stairs instead of staining the plywood? I am having the same problem and I dont' know how good the plywood is underneath the carpet. So I was wondering if you are able to paint the tops and of stairs instead of staining them. I don't want to put a lot of money into the strairs but I also want it to last and look good.

I also was wondering if they could be painted. Does anyone know if the paint will chip or wear off faster than stain? I started to pull some of the carpeting up and there are small holes in the plywood from the carpet tacks/nails. What do I do about these? It seems like there are a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back