Gateway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i will explain the setup as it was before I messed abouttried to sort it out.

In wall I have phone socket, in phone socket I have 'filter' which has phone (landline) and modem (for broadband) plugged in it. Thats how it all works fine.

Now I have a Wireless Gateway box

Now the way I am reading things this Gateway DISCARDS the modem. and the gateway acts as a modem? is this right??

The instructions say NOT to put gateway into filter! but the gateway connecting wire is not right size end for the phone socket in the wall. so now i have a double connector thing so I put that in the phone socket in the wall, plug the filter into it with the phoneline (landline) into the filter so i can use the phone, and plug the gateway into where it says modem on the double connector thingy. the gateway has another wire (ethernet) which goes from the gateway into my pc.

so in effect, I have the gateway plugged into the phone socket in the wall (via a connector NOT a filter), the filter with the phone (landline) plugged into it is also plugged into the wall socket with the double connector. The ethernet wire is plugged into the pc. and it wont connect

If my broadband modem has to come into it somewhere i dont think i have enough holes

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
Post the model of the gateway.
here ya go igorian . hope this helps . cheers for any help .
ADSL Gateway Modem and Wireless Router WAG354G.

Sponsored Links
Extract from the user guide that came with your router.

NOTE: A small device called a microfilter (not included) may be necessary between each phone
and wall jack to prevent interference. Contact your ISP if you have any questions.

The instructions do not say you don't need a ADSL filter, they say that no ADSL filters are included with the gateway.

What you need to do is place your existing modem in a cupboard out of the way and follow the instructions below.

1) Fit the ADSL filter to your telephone socket, connect the RJ11 cable between the filter 'ADSL' connection and the linksys gateways 'LINE' connection.

2) Connect the RJ45 network cable between one of the network ports on the gateway and the RJ45 connection of your PC.

3) Connect the power adapter.

Finally follow the instructions that came with the gatway on configuring it, this will include entering the username and password that your ISP supplied you with when your broadband was activated.

Back