mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I am hoping to fit a mixer shower this weekend, just hope it will work. I have a hot water cylinder in airing cupboard with cold water tank sitting above it. Will a mixer shower work with this combination, I think this is gravity fed? Also, will it be best to run hot water straight from cylinder and use a surrey flange and, run cold water directly from the header tank, if so, what do I need to do this?

Many thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
If the feed to the HW cylinder is the tank immediately above it (ie not in the loft above), you won't get anything you would call a shower because the pressure will be too low. How big is that CW tank?

The feed to the HW cylinder is the tank immediately above it, there is none in the loft. The CW tank is 20 gallons.
What type of shower could I have? I didn't want to put an electric one in due to the new IEEE rules ( part P ), thus would need somebody to do this.

Many thanks Chris,
Steve

I could be wrong but I think you can put one in yourself as long as you comply with the rules and have it checked before using it by either the council or a suitably qualified electrician. Wwhoever it is issues you with a certificate.

I phoned up my council and explained that I intend to put a shower unit with sauna combined in my bathroom. The sauna steam unit lives under the seat in the shower box and I will wire it all up myself with a ceiling mounted double pole 3mm gap remote switched fused spur from a socket in the bedroom next to the bathroom.

They will then come round & check it for about £50. The cost depends on the value of the job on a sliding scale. As I also intend upgrading my fused consumer unit for a modern one based on trip switches, they said they would do both at the same time for the same price, so getting 2 for the prie of one! But please check this is true first.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have a similar system.

All cold water taps fed direct from mains, hot water from tank in airing cupboard, which has two small tanks on top of it. One feeds hot tank one expansion feed for Central Heating.

We have a mixer shower installed, cold water fed direct from mains hot through a Salamander ecp80 pumpwhich boosts hot water pressure to whole house.

It works brilliantly, you will need to fit non return valves to the mixer taps.

My only regret is buying a manual mixer not a thermostatic one.

Can anyone recommend a cheap thermostatic valve which could be fitted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back