topaz t100si

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have installed the shower as by the book, rcd 80a is right one, cable is the right one,miniature circuit breaker is 50a. put the isolating switch on an the shower all lights up, but press the on button an the rcd blows.
take the front off the shower and checked the lot again,an again,leave the front off the shower an it runs o.k. but put the front back on an it blows the rcd.

can you help me or is it a new shower again

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the front panel is pushing two exposed conductors together or a live connector against the earthed parts. Have a look (power off) where this could happen. A lot of boiler connectors are spades and can get bent to the wrong position. The incoming cable is stout and inflexible compared to the internal wiring; does the connector twist as the front is pushed on?
Best of luck. Let's know what it was.

no wires are touching. it only stop working if you put the front of the shower on

The front only contains plastic parts on most showers so it must be misaligning or pushing another part causing a short......
Have a look at the parts that aligh when the front is put on and check around those areas for possible problems (selector, power switch etc)

As viewer siad you may not be looking for touching wires but a spade connector could be pushed back by the fron shorting against some exposed metal....

Sponsored Links
have you mixed up neutral & earth connections?
Before you put the PCB connector in the solenoid (low current) is on
After PCB all shower is powered including elements.
The shower may be drawing <30mA to earth with solenoid only and well over this with cover on.

ps don't forget the bonding
(document I found on the IEE website) put a copy on my website:

http://www.baldelectrician.com/bonding.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back