Is corgi registered required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I apologise if this post is in the wrong place.

I'm getting a new worktop fitted in my kitchen, and so far one joiner has come in with a quote of about £150 below the others (I've had 4 quotes so far).

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but when I mentioned about the cooker being disconnected and reconnected, his mate, who was with him at the time, said that it was a simple job and he would do that. Otherwise hiring a plumber would cost me an extra £100, he said.

So I said that I thought gas appliances had to be fitted by someone who was corgi registered, but they brushed this off saying that it was a very simple operation (they said they would also do the sink for me)

I am very inexperienced when it comes to things like this. It is very tempting to go with these guys as they are so much cheaper. The other quotes seem very expensive just for fitting a worktop and boxing in a few pipes.

Can anyone tell me what the laws are with the corgi situation, and whether these guys sound legit to you? How much of a risk am I taking if I do decide to go with their quote?

Many thanks,

JG.

Sponsored Links
Is the cooker being moved, or the gas pipe extended or repositioned?

If the cooker has a flexible connection with a bayonet fitting it can be disconnected and reconnected by you or anyone else.

But would you or they know whether it is fitted to current regulations regarding its position and the position of units along side it.

If the pipework is rigid and the gas has to be disconnected, then you need a corgi person.

The bottom line is that it's illegal for him to do it, as he's working for profit, but not for you to do it , if you're competent

Sponsored Links
jessegaron said:
Can anyone tell me what the laws are with the corgi situation, and whether these guys sound legit to you? How much of a risk am I taking if I do decide to go with their quote?

I'm approaching this from the other side - as a joiner who fits worktops, etc. We have a standing rule: if it's a fixed gas installation such as a built-in hob then we bring in our CORGI-registered gas man simply because we aren't insured. It also happens to be the law. So your "cheap" joiner and his mate are skimming to get the job, but if anything goes wrong.....

Scrit

Yes, agreed, only corgi registered folk have to abide by all the distance rules, kitchen fitters flaunt them, so if you don't involve someone who is accountable you more than likely won't have a safe installation, based on my observations.

In the same way they position boilers to make future maintenance near enough impossible. To do some parts changes the boiler has to be completely removed when it wouldn't otherwise have to be, you pay for the extra time it takes, and it doesn't really do your boiler any good to be removed and replaced unnecessarily.

Bayonet fitting - yes you can unplug it and reconnect it
anything else - CORGI engineer required

Also are you doing any electrical work as you will need to read up on PART P electrical visit odpm website for a copy of the leaflet or the full regs

Raden you are mistaken it is not aceptable for anyone who is not registered or compitent to do any gas work. It is of no interest if profit is involved or not.
This mistake is very common. If it were true all unregistered guys would charge £3000 to pipe up a rad a throw in a free boiler.

Raden you are mistaken it is not aceptable for anyone who is not registered or compitent to do any gas work. It is of no interest if profit is involved or not.
This mistake is very common. If it were true all unregistered guys would charge £3000 to pipe up a rad a throw in a free boiler.

I am not mistaken. I really don't care what you consider acceptable

by the letter of the law, there is nothing preventing a competent person from doing anyting to the gas. It's just CORGI who try to confuse the situation by masking the difference between workiong for profit and not.

I suggest that before you post, you go and learn what is and isn't allowed BY LAW

raden said:

I am not mistaken. I really don't care what you consider acceptable

by the letter of the law, there is nothing preventing a competent person from doing anyting to the gas. It's just CORGI who try to confuse the situation by masking the difference between workiong for profit and not.

I suggest that before you post, you go and learn what is and isn't allowed BY LAW

You have hit apon a bit of a contradicyion between the gas safety installation and use regs and the building regs raden

]gas regs require you to prove competency and be registerd with CORGI to undertake "work"

But the building regs require only proof of competency

Dont want a row just saying

competenycy is what it's about matt the guy has to ask on here how to do a tightness test PLEEESE

and if someone told him, he would be able to judge for himself whether he was competent to perform one, wouldn't he

Lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to lack of ability,

a simple fact which often seems to get lost here

You have hit apon a bit of a contradicyion between the gas safety installation and use regs and the building regs raden

]gas regs require you to prove competency and be registerd with CORGI to undertake "work"

no contradiction - work relates to a job done for financial gain as opposed to doing a job on your own appliance. The man from the HSE told me so at the Gas Safety Review several yeares ago, before anyone wants to argue further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back