Windows Tweak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(note to mods: I have posted this in General Discussion deliberately, to reach more people as I thought it was a useful bit of advice)

Found this evening on the net:
[edited to point out this is, I beleive, for XP only. It might work on other systems, but as secure has subsequently pointed out, not for ME.)

If you’ve ever had to use the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) to kill a “Not Responding” program, you’ve probably been frustrated by the time it takes for the program to actually disappear from your screen. What’s going on here is that a Microsoft provided tool called “Windows Error Dump Reporting,” or “dumprep.exe,” is creating a file containing information about the error that can later be sent back to Microsoft, where it will be summarily ignored along with millions of other error reports.

You can safely disable this largely useless feature (and thus speed up your computer in crash-situations) by taking the following steps.

How to disable dumprep.exe:

1. Right click on “My Computer,” choose “Properties” from that menu.
2. Click on “Advanced tab,”
3. Click the “Error Reporting” button.
4. Check the “Disable error reporting” box. You may choose to uncheck the the box below it, “But notify me when an error occurs,” if desired.

Voila, the annoying dumprep.exe tool is now disabled!
Excellent!
:D

=========================================
note from mod

its still a software post

Sponsored Links
Does not work with ME.

I get no "ADVANCED" tab to click on having selected "properties" after r/clicking My Computer.

Boo....

securespark said:
Does not work with ME
Yuck - not a lot does!

From PC World's own website listing the top 25 worst ever PC products, at number 4 and the highest ranking Micro$oft offering:

4. Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

This might be the worst version of Windows ever released--or, at least, since the dark days of Windows 2.0. Windows Millennium Edition (aka Me, or the Mistake Edition) was Microsoft's follow-up to Windows 98 SE for home users. Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000, users reported problems installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or software, and getting it to stop running. Aside from that, Me worked great.

To its credit, Me introduced features later made popular by Windows XP, such as system restore. Unfortunately, it could also restore files you never wanted to see again, like viruses that you'd just deleted. Forget Y2K; this was the real millennium bug.

I've got a Millenium Edition disk with COA and manual, going cheap.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I've got a Millenium Edition disk with COA and manual, going cheap.

You must let me know your Ebay name.......so I can avoid it like the plague :LOL:

Cant wait for an error now. :LOL:
Strange though as my work pc would not do anything this morning, even ctrl delete did nothing. I swore at it hit the F** button (thats not to be confused with the F keys).

securespark said:
Does not work with ME.

I get no "ADVANCED" tab to click on having selected "properties" after r/clicking My Computer.

Boo....
See if there's a registry entry...

ninebob said:
From PC World's own website listing the top 25 worst ever PC products, at number 4 and the highest ranking Micro$oft offering:
Oohh - I gotta go and look at the others - I wonder where this comes:

npants19ml.gif

That reminds me ....

Anyone want to purchase Lotus Smartsuite original box - 3.5" floppy discs... All manuals etc.
1.2.3 - Rel. 1.0
AmiPro - Rel. 2.0 ... Not a bad effort that one.
Freelance - Rel 1.0

You also get..... Boxed, plus all manuals, Norton Utilities Ver. 6.01 on 3.5 and 5.25 floppies.

10 off - 70% used 'Dry board Markers'

5 refillable HP Deskjet cartridges (Black) HP5645A

Penutimately, a map to the location at the tip where I placed the boxed and manualed OS-2 OS circa 1997... A shovel attracts extra cost.

Finally, a free waterproof cover .. classed elsewhere as a bin-liner.

;)

Blimey! 'Chokey1' It was a joke I cannot accept your $567 offer.
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Back