Starting New Loft project...advice needed throughout!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there im just new to this site but it seems really helpfull, so i hope somebody can help me. I live in an old terrace house built about 1910. Between me and my gilfriend we have completely renovated most of the house and updated it all. We now want to do the loft out...increase insulation and board the floor. The current loft hatch is the original one and is about 2ft x 1ft...how small were people then?! It is situated right in the eaves of the loft making it nearly impossible to get into. It needs enlarging...would it be better do you think to enlarge the hatch where it is or create a new one more centrally in the loft for height in access. If we were to make a new one...it would have to be in the master bedroom..is this off putting to people when buying a house or do many houses have the hatch in the bedroom now?
Any advice would be great as its a sticking point and i really want to crack on up there...with all your help of course!!! Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you have an airing cupboard? Thats where my access is, and that was about the same size as yours before I enlarged it. Forget that idea if you've got an immersion tank in it of course :LOL: Also bear in mind that its probably a lathe and plaster ceiling and its going to be a rather messy job :confused:

No i dont have an airing cupboard...and yes it is lathe and plaster i put a new plasterboard ceiling up downstairs so i know how messy it is!! :confused:

It will either have to be where it is at the top of the stairs which is quite narrow and enters in the corner of the loft in the eaves....or move it into the main bedroom which would enable me to enter more centrally giving ALOT easier access. The bedroom isnt decorated or anything yet so mess isnt a problem. I want to use a plastic loft hatch...would it stand out alot...does it put people off having it in the bedroom when buying a house?

Thanks for your advice!!

does it put people off having a loft hatch in the master bedroom? anyones opinion is appreciated!! thanks!

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would be significant, but I prefer it on the landing ceiling. If you have an opening-down hatch, you can position it flush and decorate it in the same paint as the ceiling to make it less obtrusive.

Don't put it above the bed as it will get on your nerves.

Handy for a quick escape for your lover

haha good plan...

JohnD i agree i would prefer it on te landing ceiling aswell. my problem is though i live in a 2 up 2 down end terrace. at the point where the stairs end at the top directly above is the current old tiny original hatch. if you go through this you are at the very corner of the loft in the eaves and have to bend in half to get to anywhere you can even crouch!! so my new hole needs to be more central. the loft covers the staircase and the main bedroom so to do this i would need to either move the hatch back over the top of the stairs...is this too dangerous to have the ladder going over the stairs...or move it into the bedroom where it could be positioned against the wall but more centrally. whats best?

Is the loft not over the bathroom? Is there not a landing/corridoor between the doors of the main bedroom and back bedroom?

i will try and do a quick diagram and post it on here for you..though im not quite sure how! thanks for helping..

Okay John D after just finishing my drawings ready to post them on here i realise that u cant...mmmmmmm :mad:

Anyhow... Il describe it you walk through the front door and the stairs are in front of you ( front room to the left)..anyhow so u go up the stairs and where the stairs get to the top directly above is the current loft hatch. to your immediate left is the master bedroom directly over the front room. Just a little more back from where the loft hatch is, is the continuatiion of the bedroom wall in the form of a stone lintel across the corridor. Past this straight ahead is the bathroom and round to the left is the back bedroom. The pitch of our roof if you were looking from the side is at its highest midway across the master bedroom and then begins to drop, touching the top of the wall the stone lintel is holding and continues down to the back of the house...reason why the bathroom and back room have sloping ceiliengs!!
Hope im making sense....so the only usuable bit of loft is the bit above the stairs and main bedroom. i hope you now understand how when you go up through the hatch you are in a very low part of the loft??!! hoping!!!

To get more headroom above the hatch therefore it would need to be moved further towards the front of the house and the high point of the roof..i.e over the stairs or in the bedroom!!

thanks masona!!! iv emailed them to the site so hopefully my works of art should be on soon!!

sideviewloft.jpg

loftideas.jpg

Can you not make the existing hole bigger toward the stairs? Then use the ladder from the bed 2 door area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back