DIY Gas Work IS NOT Illegal

• Thread starter Water Systems
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Yay....I can cancel my CORGI registration tomorrow. Seriously, it's about time this was sorted out once and for all. Either gas safety is a serious issue or it's not. If it is then a complete blanket ban should be placed on unregistered persons working on/ purchasing gas appliances and parts. If it's not then dismantle the dogs and ACS saving us hundreds in annual fees and assessments and leave the HSE to sort out resultant mess.

UNfortunately it won't

Most CORGIs are brainwashed into thinking otherwise.

Believe me, I keep on reminding them

And yes, you are correct that the HSE are not overly concerned about DIY work

Sponsored Links
There is no argument, as long as you do it correctly for yourself it's fine, if you do it wrong you have broken the law as you are incompetent. There are also now many practical considerations with registrations etc.

competency is a requirement.how does a diyer prove competancy.does this mean that if i gain a bit of knowledge about the human body i will be able to do operations on my own family.if i do it right its o.k. i think not.so therefore is it o.k to work on something that if not done correctly can potentially kill your family and possibly other people within the vasinity.do you get the idea.

I do not have to prove my competency

Yes lack of competency only comes to light when something goes wrong

Life's a bitch, innit

in spelling as in gas work

There is no argument. Corgis are educated about the law relating to gas work. (Not that it takes very long)

I shall continue to advise that, for example, changing a gas valve is a job for a corgi. If someone wants to spell out all that might be needed to be known by someone untrained to do it, that's up to them. But as it would take hundreds of words and be fraught with difficulties, I'm not going to.

ANyone wishing to undertake the exercise would have a bucketload to cover:
"No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel otherwise than in accordance with appropriate standards ". That's a lot of standards.

This is the third forum that WS has posted this complete waste of time!

He is retired but still has a misconceived idea that he must take every opportunity to spend his retirement knocking those who spend time and money to qualify and join CORGI.

I would be less concerned if he posted with his real name and kept his insurance up to date ready for an unfortunate DIYer whom he encourages to do gas work when not fully competent and causes a fatality.

Tony Glazier

ask anyone in authority and they all say the same. to work on a gas fitting,pipe,appliance or anything that affects the correct working of an appliance such as safety devices and flues one has to be competant,and to prove competancy your required to have studied and passed an accredited course.i:e ACS.

solo said:
Yay....I can cancel my CORGI registration tomorrow. Seriously, it's about time this was sorted out once and for all. Either gas safety is a serious issue or it's not. If it is then a complete blanket ban should be placed on unregistered persons working on/ purchasing gas appliances and parts. If it's not then dismantle the dogs and ACS saving us hundreds in annual fees and assessments and leave the HSE to sort out resultant mess.

Yes, this one wants a closed shop so he can raise his rates. He also wants the bad old days of trade only outlets too. Do you want a tart thrown in with each job as well?

The opinons of people here are worthless. The LAW says DIY is legal. End of story.

because it may not be in your face that it is illegal doesnt mean its legal.

fitz1 said:
ask anyone in authority and they all say the same. to work on a gas fitting,pipe,appliance or anything that affects the correct working of an appliance such as safety devices and flues one has to be competant,and to prove competancy your required to have studied and passed an accredited course.i:e ACS.

Are you really that dumb? I posted the pieces for you. Cut and pasted the relevant bits and the links for the complete docs too.

DIY is LEGAL ACS means sweet nothing. Read the post again. It is the law not my opinion.

Some of these CORGI sharks are totally brainwashed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back