Main Header Tank: Quieter Inlet Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the ball float valve, in the main cold water tank. I need a quieter one since it is above a bedroom. I have tried a Torbeck, it is a lot quieter when filling; but I now have introduced a water hammer problem, mostly when shutting off.
The cause of this hammering, is due to the float of the Torbeck valve dancing on the water surface near to the valve shutoff point, this dancing is caused by minor water ripples. The valve finally closes when the rippling has stopped.

The valve comes with 2 inserts for different water pressures: -
One for LP up to 4 Bar; and the other for HP from 4 Bar upwards. I have tried these both (and none), the water hammer still remains.

Questions
1) Is there a better alternative to the Torbeck valve?
2) Any suggestions in overcoming the problem with the Torbeck valve?
3) Would a non return valve in the main line be recommended?

Thanks for your attention here.

Jaymack

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Brass Equilibrium valve ;)

I tried to get one a while ago without success. Are they still available? In 3/4"?

Sponsored Links
This might work better
11132.jpg

Nige F said:
www.tycowaterworks.com They`ve got them ( I Googled) ;)

I got a sudden stabbing pain in the wallet when I saw their site. Looks a bit posh for a dwelling
TV_Float%20Valve.jpg

LOL..they`ve got 3/4 inch standard ones ;) ...You pays yer money and gets Brass or Chinese Plastic :LOL:

I finally cracked it with help from the maker: - Opella. They sent me a couple of parts for a simple modification to make the valve less sensitive. Now: - no noise and no hammer.

Jaymack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back