Help with light switch

Bre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellas, i want to replace an old light switch. I\\\'ve bought a replacement fitting expecting it to be a straight forward job. i unscrewed the old fitting and it has three wires going into it, all of them red! Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
note what goes where and replicate the connections in the new switch? really, its not rocket science :rolleyes:

and they are all red because they are all live. shock horror.

three wires going into but are they going to three seperate terminals? if they are you need a 2 way switch , this has three terminals just copy original one of the cables must be in the common terminal if it is marked tho

followed crafty's advice (cheers crafty), i had 3 red wires going into seperate terminals, i lablled each wire and made sure that they went into the same terminal in new fitting (the new fitting is far newer than old so not totally same style. ... job done apart from now the lights in my other two bedrooms don't work! Any advice appreciated :idea:

Sponsored Links
2 of those lives must need to be linked. Is it a 2 gang switch (with 2 switches on the front)? if so, you need to link the 2 common terminals with a bit of red wire.

no, its just a one gang switch. The old fitting was really old and not quite the same as this new one i have. Don't get how refitting this would stop other lights from working.

well two of the cable were together internally maybe of the switch you will have to move one wire at a time you will end up with one wire in C or common and two in L1. it is sending out a perminant live to feed other lights by the sound of it

Bre said:
no, its just a one gang switch. The old fitting was really old and not quite the same as this new one i have. Don't get how refitting this would stop other lights from working.
i'm thinking 2 of the lives are looping in (and need to be connected together in one terminal), and the other live is switched. How was the old switch wired? and how is the new switch wired?

EDIT: fireman that was as clear as mud. you been on the juice?

Bre said:

are you saying you changed the light switch AND the light fitting?

breezer said:
Bre said:

are you saying you changed the light switch AND the light fitting?
how did i miss that??? :eek:

fireman22 said:
no he his just talking about a switch . . . . i think

no, read this

Bre said:
followed crafty's advice (cheers crafty), i had 3 red wires going into seperate terminals, i lablled each wire and made sure that they went into the same terminal in new fitting (the new fitting is far newer than old so not totally same style. ... job done apart from now the lights in my other two bedrooms don't work! Any advice appreciated

how else would lights in other bedrooms not work if he only changed a switch?

very old switch seperate terminals but link of copper / brass between then, going up shed to find one for the manufacturer. and if he has changed both the switch and light fitting, with telling us i give up

breezer said:
how else would lights in other bedrooms not work if he only changed a switch?
new house, looping in at the switch. conduit install. hence 3 lives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back