Extension wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring an extension at present. I'm going to use an exisitng cooker radial circuit 4mm T&E (which I think might have a spur of it)...anyway...the shed will have a RCD and two MCB..one for light and the other for 3 double sockets 2mm T&E. I'm extending the 4mm to meet a 30 amp rated underground armnoured cable to the RCD in the shed ( I was going to use a 49 amp rated but this is to big?).

Is is ok to use the cooker circuit while having a ring circuit inthe shed?

Ireland has the same electrical setup as the UK.

Sponsored Links
is it still going to feed the cooker after you have done the shed wiring?
if it is 4mm it can be fed via a 32A breaker max, ditch any spurs off this circuit connect it to 4mm or 6mm arm cable and feed shed

Thanks Fireman22 for the quick reponse.

I'm told the modern ovens can plug into an existing socket on a ring circuit so the cooker circuit will only be used for the shed.

I think the gas hob fan feeds of the cooker circuit (double pole switched)...would be absolutely necessary to ditch this?

Many thanks.

yes most modern single ovens go on a socket outlet via a plug top, can gas ign go into same socket that feeds oven then one point of disconnection for both oven and hob?

Sponsored Links
Yep.....the gas ignition is plugged into a socket already....double socket at rear of oven.
It's the hob fan that I think is spurred of the cooker....not sure as I think the spark that wired it took the double at rear of oven off another existing double then ran the cable for the fan off this new double ....ust dawned on me I can test the fan simply by switching off the cooker switch!! Duh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back