Size of gas line for 150,000 BTU BBQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an outside kitchen. I will have a double burner that is 30,000 BTU and a Grill that has a maxinum of 120,000 BTU. I have a 1/2" line in the deck right now but it needs to go 25ft more to the kitchen area.

I have got 2 quotes from plumbers and they both have different opinions on the line that I can use. The 1st quote from the plumber told me I need a 3/4 or it will not work good. The 2nd who is a family friend told me it should be sufficent with a 1/2" line. He told me their is no need to waste money on a new 3/4 line from the main line.

I think I am going with the existing 1/2" line but want other peoples opinion if the 1/2" will work fine and not cause any other problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
150000btu's equates to around 42Kw. With that much gas and that length of run its deffinately 22mm (3/4) could even be as large as 28mm (1inch). havent got exact figures to hand but would be deffinately wary of 1/2inch.
Lee

Natural or Lpg.

And what qualification do you have.

As for you're two :eek:

Just how long is the total run, plus any bends, tees etc.

Finally who sized the grill.

lcgs said:
150000btu's equates to around 42Kw. With that much gas and that length of run its deffinately 22mm (3/4) could even be as large as 28mm (1inch). havent got exact figures to hand but would be deffinately wary of 1/2inch.
Lee

15mm is out.

22mm will give a total distance of 9m less any bends.

And if this is an industrial kitchen it presents a whole new ball game.

Sponsored Links
And DIA figures are based on no other gas appliance being connected to the pipework before the outside kitchen.

And DIAs figures are based on an acceptable pressure drop of 1 mb, which might not necessarily apply in the States.

chrishutt said:
And DIAs figures are based on an acceptable pressure drop of 1 mb, which might not necessarily apply in the States.

Are you from Cuba or Bristol ;)

It's obvious from the OP's terminology (gas line, imperial units, etc.) that he really is posting fro the US.

chrishutt said:
It's obvious from the OP's terminology (gas line, imperial units, etc.) that he really is posting fro the US.

Good thinking Sherlock :cool:

Reminds me of the Hitchin Post in Florida.

The grill is about 20 feet long, and the spare rids are half a cow. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Not like the Florida greasy spoon in Hitchin then :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back