Windows Genuine Advantage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For reasonably genuine reasons which I shan't cloud the thread with, I have a non-genuine version of Windows on my machine.

Now after a recent download, every time I turn on I get a window come up saying that I have a non-genuine version of windows and it gives me the option to either buy a genuine version or resolve later. I always click resolve later, but its a bit of a pain.

Is there a way of turning this off (that doesn't involve buying a genuine copy). Also, incidentally, if I did go legit and buy a copy, how much would a copy of XP pro set me back ?

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
For reasonably genuine reasons which I shan't cloud the thread with, I have a non-genuine version of Windows on my machine.

I'd edit that before the topic is closed

Its like saying "For reasonably genuine reasons which I shan't cloud the thread with, I wanted a ferrari so I stole one"

Should youpost a new topic requesting info on WGA then thats another subject.

As for buying XP, xp pro OEM can be had for under a ton, retail version double at least, and an education license a few quid.

Rule 9 noted - Sorry :oops:

Can't think of a way to reword the rest, so I'll have to take my chances....

Sponsored Links
reboot pc, tap on the F8 key till you get a menu, select safe mode from the menu

Ta'. Will try it out tonight. Incidentally, I wasn't ignoring your FAQ post, it was just that Microsoft's view of genuine didn't square with mine.

Tried gcol's procedure but unfortunately didn't work. When I got to the last stage, the relevant file wasn't there to delete and then when I rebooted, WGA started running again.

However (and I don't quite believe this myself) I seem to have stopped it by restoring the computer to a point before I got infected with this nasty piece of spyware ;) , so I just need to make sure not to run the update this time. Seems too simple though.

johnny_t said:
Tried gcol's procedure but unfortunately didn't work. When I got to the last stage, the relevant file wasn't there to delete and then when I rebooted, WGA started running again.

However (and I don't quite believe this myself) I seem to have stopped it by restoring the computer to a point before I got infected with this nasty piece of spyware ;) , so I just need to make sure not to run the update this time. Seems too simple though.

yeah, system restore works with this. Make sure you havn't got Automatic updates turned on.

...best make sure you never rely on your PC to store important information, though. Every week without updating XP, brings you a week closer to the inevitability of some malcontent's software creation wiping your hard-drive...

johnny_t

just google

"Genuine Windows Validation "

then second page half way down , go there . ;)

Sponsored Links
Back