Genuine or fake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an old banger of a car. (the wife drives it not me, poor gal :oops: )

a Honda.

i have always took it to a main dealer and have only fitted genuine car parts to the car. everything still works on that old car.

the boys down in the 'cars' section scoffed saying" they all come from the same factory" blah blah blah.

is there any merit/mileage in buying genuine parts?

i play golf. and a lot of golf equipment is copied. the drop in standard is immediately obvious. but if i was a hacker, would i notice? would i benefit from the extra quality? i guess not.

so, would a car notice the difference between genuine and non-genuine parts?

Sponsored Links
Supposedly in the past genuine parts were made to higher tolerences and were meant to last longer than pattern parts but these days with cost cutting etc who knows whats pucker and whats not, by that i mean do the manufacturers farm out parts making to inferior factories that get the authorisation to brand the parts?

so my genuine Honda parts are no better than a cobbled together, crock-of-s**t from Nairobi?

I've driven Hondas for quite some time now and, in my experience, their branded parts are better quality than replica items.

Sponsored Links
Who knows for sure?
Besides do they want a car that goes for ever?

I find the "branded" parts are good, and some are no more expensive (e.g. batteries and exhausts) as the dealers know they are competing on price (always ask first though)

If you are buying something like an air or oil filter, spark plugs or windscreen wipers, or an alternator, I am sure a reputable brand will be just as good. Bulbs are sure to be bought in from a bulb-maker.

Once the car is out of warranty there is no point in paying a higher main dealer price if you can get equivalent quality elsewhere. I got a new radiator much cheaper and fitted it myself.

If you buy off a market stall or ebay, you can expect poor quality.

p.s.
Genuine or fake?
I thought you meant
(o)(o)

i bought a starter motor recently for a mercedes.genuine one was bosch german swedish was lucas.both absolutely identical,lucas was 25 % cheaper and neither was mercedes built.

you can buy aftermarket parts with confidence.that said if a diesel injector went,i would give it to merc to sort out

Nothing to do with cars per se, but kinda related.
Lots of companies make bits and bobs for each other. Apple's iPods are made by a company called Foxconn, who have a rep for knocking out cheap motherboards. Sony branded optical drives in PC's are often made by a rival, Lite-On and rebadged as Sony. Lots of other examples, but basically you just have to judge each purchase on it's own merits. The phrase 'you get what you pay for' doesn't always ring true, every product you buy has a price/quality sweet spot.

You still :cry: ing about that air filter :?: ;) Genuine parts for Safety Related Items :idea: Taiwan cheapos for AIR FILTERS :LOL: take it out and eBay it when the car goes to scrapper :idea:

Take a Aftermarket Brand like QH. Alternators, Water Pumps are recon units where castinigs are cleaned, new bearings, windings, electrics etc fitted and pushed out on the shelves. Dealer supplied, will be the same as the stuff that comes out of the parts bin at the factory...at the end of the day probably from same manufacturer just different factories.

If the cars a banger no point in spending the premium if the warenty passed years ago. You are supposed to be able to use dealer supplied parts and give them to a garage to use to service your car, and keep the warenty...but wouldnt like to try it.

In terms of quality after market is always deemed a bit dodge...depends on what you are buying. Parts like Alternators Pumps etc cant see a problem in them, body panels are renound for using poor quality steel, inadequate coatings and fit is a case of "it fits better upside down"...spend the money getting it fitted painted and polished only for it to turn to dust at the sight of a rain shower.

To me, if the part is avalible as a after market pattern cant see what the problem is (although I would steer clear of body panels)...unless its in warrenty of course.

Pattern parts such as QH are OK, they tend to make the more consumable items such as clutches, wheel cylinders etc and for more uncommon parts you would be forced down the main dealer route anyway. Aftermarket suppliers can often produce better parts that come with your car anyway.I am thinking specifically of shock absorbers, Spax are a big aftermarket supplier and their spec is often higher than the originals.

Items such as hydraulic systems are bought in from manufacturers such as Lockheed or Girling so does that make them original ?

I once had a customer who needed new brake shoes on his BMW. However he didn't want us to fit the Girling ones that we had, he insisted on BMW shoes. So we got them from BMW. BMW was splattered all over the box but what was stamped on the shoes? GIRLING. Snob.

I buy loads of cheap crap for myself but only top brands for my clients, I do a lot of printing and could save thousands a year on paper and ink but I feel happier using branded stuff.
I just dread the day when someone comes into my studio with a blank piece of paper saying ''look whats happened to my fine art print'' :LOL:

I don't know if there is a gram of truth in what I'm about to say, but in my experience, it seems that the factory-fitted parts generally last longest of all.

By that I mean the bits bolted onto the car in the factory perform better and for longer than anything bolted on after it leaves the factory, even genuine branded parts.

Anybody with me on this?

As an example, A Maestro I had: clutch lasted 105K. New clutch ARG part supplied & fitted by ARG dealer, lasted 45K. Next one (fought for replacement under warranty & got it!!) lasted 30K.....

You could say 60K per clutch average is good, but I argued the fact that I can't be such a c*ap driver if the original lasted in excess of 100K, so why did the replacement fail so quickly?

[Tumbleweed] [/Tumbleweed]

Sponsored Links
Back