My lovely neighbour!

It is a shame that little niggling matters grow to be a major bone of contention, it has happened to me in the past.

Before I got too far down the "post" I was going to suggest filling her bins with concrete, but at least now the whole arrangement looks fairly tidy. Your neighbour obviously spends a fair amount of cash on the upkeep of her property, and maybe a little on yours, the support struts are at least awkwardly placed on her side.

You could send her a letter and state that you have a concern that she may have straddled the boundary (accidentally of course), and thereby give her notice that you have not given her permission to do so; there-fore should a dispute arise with a future owner of your property she may end up with an expensive argument to resolve.

Then you notify her that you're going to build a two storey extension up to the boundary, Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I remember some years back that a colleague had just moved into a nice new house and was very pleased, until about 6 months later, when a 'Slater' type family moved in next door!

Teenage children slamming doors into the wee hours shouting and arguing! The worst bit was the fact the man of the house worked for a vehicle breakdown/recovery firm, so had a dirty great diesel engineed recovery truck which he parked on the driveway! The best bit, he was on 24hr callout, so would start this thing up at anytime throughout the night and shake the whole house waking everyone up (including their 4 year old son and new baby!)

Not doing anything wrong per say, but just bang out of order!

If there are other houses with similar layout nearby, have a butchers.
I think it is strange, your drain pipe onto allegedly neighbour's property.

Are you sure the fence was not a 'Tex Ritter' job ? I find the 'struts rather strange .. am sure the fence steps over to make them more acceptable to her .... We have a railing, waist high, the uprights are set in lead filled holes in the concrete plinth no struts fitted or required.

P

haven't read all this as it's a bit long but correct me if i'm wrong - your house is on the left?

if your house is on the left then surly that heating vent on your neighbours house is illegal? as it's venting towards your property - or is it only illegal if it vents over your property boundary?

just a thought because if it is illegal it would have to be moved - and that would cost big$$ :evil:

Sponsored Links
struts.jpg

That is a Bodgit and Scarper job !!
Surefire, I have no doubt whatsoever your boundry is at least, the garage endwall.
Root of problem probably the tarmac not being laid to boundary edge, originally.
The bricks have tidied the shortfall... but IMHO do not define the boundary.
Just imagine how those little struts would encroach into her path, if the fence retained the initial line .... Hope she has insurance against someone legitimately on her path, tripping over ..... Oh sorry, they will probably be found to have tripped on your property, just cannot win eh ?
How does the drive and path (if they exist) integrate to the left hand side of your house as viewed in pix ?
;)

king.module said:
if your house is on the left then surly that heating vent on your neighbours house is illegal? as it's venting towards your property - or is it only illegal if it vents over your property boundary?
Also noticed the garage rain water downpipe into next door, where does the rain water drained to?

Been here, saw the T-shirt and didn't like the price.

Boundary issues are notoriously difficult to resolve. The deeds will give an approximate line but in order to get it sorted once and for all you have to get a surveyor to give his opinion, your neighbour has to get one of their own and if they can't sort it between them (there is a professional relationship and agreement process within the surveyor community) then you have to call in a third surveyor to arbitrate. You might have noticed that this can cost a fair bit of dosh and you have to ask whether it's worth it.

The only other avenue worth going down (but it's unlikely to get you anywhere very much) is to see if there was anything in the deeds to indicate what you could or couldn't do with an open plan driveway (i.e. don't build a fence). Unfortunately this would probably only be a moral victory as to take it through the courts would be a lengthy and again costly process, they might not even find in your favour.

I don't see any reason why you can't paint your side of the fence a different colour though. As it has now become a party wall (and that then starts another wonderfully vague legalistic route) you can do anything you like to your side.

This one could run and run.....

(I have just tried to paste in a link on boundary issues but the site appears to be down, I'll see if I can get another one later on).

EDIT

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/boundaries.html

We used to live out in the sticks, we had no leccy except from a big old diesel generator which was in a stable in the garden, anyway one day our neighbour who lived in London just used the house next door as a weekend retreat decided that he would like to build a spanish style arch between our stable and his house it was attached to our stable, he never asked anyway he sent a builder in to do it and on the weekend came down from london for a nice peaceful weekend in the country, all was well until the evening when I started the generator, well I reckon everything fell off his walls and shelves and guess what? he came round and complained about it. well I told him it would stop the seagulls nesting in his chimney pots.

On the surface it kinda looks ok to me - it seems to be fully inside 'their' bricks which would now seem to be the boundary - 'your' tarmac - 'their' bricks. Does the gate just lead into next door's garden?

Our deeds say that we must give access to our neighbour for maintenance of their garage wall - perhaps theirs would say something similar re. your drain pipe and drains.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
have just noticed on photo that their gate where it shuts is attached to YOUR GARAGE :eek:
Yes you're right depending if it's fixed to the garage wall. I has to have permission to fix the post on my neighbour garage wall.
Go on, get her on that one :LOL:

Richardp said:
he came round and complained about it. well I told him it would stop the seagulls nesting in his chimney pots.

Classic! What did he suggest you run your lightbulbs on? :LOL:

You know, you could just run up and down your drive for an afternoon running a stick against the railings :LOL:

Why not pop round to check the pointing of your garage wall (it's your legal right.). While you're at it, "accidently" trip over one of those fence supports, then sue her for damages.

Once you get "better" do it again. Accidentally of course. :LOL:

After seeing your piccies, i would chat to your neighbour, if no joy take a disc cutter (as you would do overhanging branches) to it. Your garage is on your property, right to the end of the wall, so yes the fence is overhanging on your land (better still get a quote for removal from the bloke who put it in and post it through ye neighbours door !!).
If your neighbour wants to build a canopy over the back garden access between her property and your garage and attaches it to said garage you can make them remove it and pay for repairs "to bring it back to standard", in this scenario get the dearest builder you can possibly find, make the bugger pay.

Sponsored Links
Back