Weedy neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour to our little block of maisonettes, has one of those gardens designed to encourage weeds, ably assisted by their lack of concern. All the brambles and columbine creep all over and through the fence onto our side making it all an absolute eyesore. I am not a gardener but there are some lengths one can go to, to keep your patch reasonable. I was sat in my lounge early this afternoon thinking that I maybe could have a bash at the weeds for an hour, when I noticed the lady of that house setting off for the shops, and I saw that her husband's car was not on the drive so off I went. I did as I normally do, pulling loads of it out of the fence and the ground our side and launching it over the fence, onto the weeds their side or their path. They have seen me doing it in the past and never made a comment. The treat was when I was back in my place and I saw her arrive back and stop suddenly on turning into her drive, looking around her feet, she took a couple of steps back, looked at our side, then I saw her nod her head. She came out a little while later with her broom and I could hear her brushing away for all of two minutes. That's the most work she has ever done in that garden in the six years I have been there. Tough.

Sponsored Links
Never let your neighbour think you have a problem with their garden .. ever !
This puts you in the driving seat ... especially if it is our old friend the constant shading tree .... Bide your time then take decisive action.
A good drink of turps after the neighbours go on their hols, tubed direct to the roots is a good 'un, funnel, length of conduit and gallon of turps, by the time tree is noted to be dying .. there'll be no evidence and even if there was .. you will never have complained so are pretty well in the clear !! You also remain on friendly terms with your neighbour.

P

At my girlfriend's house the neighbour has four leylandii, they have kept them well for the last few years but I did hear that if you bang a copper nail (poor tree) into the trunk, that would kill it. So I bought some copper nails, clipped the tops off ( I didn't want them to show), and in the dead of night, pushed through the shrubbery, as quietly as I could sunk them into each trunk.
That was about four years ago. What a result? nothing - so much for that

Portable drill, syringe, copper sulphate ... inject, native wood plug .... poor tree ! Poor people !! who have to live in it's shade and suffer it's water depleting properties etc.

We from the country side believe people should be licensed to plant trees, so many sited in the most inappropriate, anti-social positions imaginable ... planted by total dorks caring more about their 'right' to plant than the aggro caused !!
95% of people approached, in a very proper manner relating to their trees as a nuisance, will take umbrage (otherwise they would not let the situation arise ) ... a stupid piece of wood should be far down the list when we all have to live together on this small Island.

P

Sponsored Links
I wonder if this is an ENGLISH problem, where the English truly believe in living in their own private worlds and protecting their little castles. In many places abroad, people are only interested in where the borders of the property lies, rather than building a concrete or shrub wall.
The problem is that walls can only be built 6 feet high, whereas a wall/row of trees can grow 30/40 feet high. I don't understand the logic in councils allow it to happen. In my street people glare if an 'alien' dares to park outside their house - where there is a normal pavement! They think it is invading their privacy.
How many people - in town - know their neighbours? You might know your immediate neighbours-because they are thrust upon you - when you pull up in the car at the same time - but how many people know more than 2 or 3 immediate neighbours?

I'm not sure where you live Nelsy, but certainly where I live in the outer reaches of West London I most certainly do not know that many of my neighbours. I put this down to my way of life and other little matters. I work shift, generally park at the rear of the property, have my little patch of garden at the rear, and my girlfriend lives several miles away. Several reasons for not being around the front of the property, and not being here. I would prefer to know some of them more closely, but I suppose a lot of them live in their vehicles when outside the home as well. A sad reflection on our times.

I am friendly with my neighbours and have no hesitation with knocking on their door to say "Noticed some slates are about to fall off your roof", or "Mind if I borrow a bottle opener?". But, I can't see it becoming a lifelong friendship! :D

I think trees are great. Some people have problems with others having trees, but truly massive trees have been there a lot longer than the neighbours have. My parents' Cedar tree is over 100 years old, yet their neighbours moan and complain about it dropping seeds. Well sorry but it was there long before the neighbours bought their house. It was even there when a lady called Vicky sat in a rather important armchair and a man called Karl was mucking about with petrol! I aspire to have a house with a big garden and a few horse chestnuts or even an oak.

I don't complain about their tasteless decor that can be seen through their front window; yet that was their fault! Nor do I complain about their ugly daughter, or their adult son with a voice like he has been kicked in the nuts! :eek:

I can appreciate it is annoying for them to have to sweep them up once or twice a year, but you don't buy a house and then complain that you don't like the way that the neighbouring house is too close and insist it is demolished. Or say "I don't want you to have a BMW, I want you to trade that in and get a Ford instead." :LOL:

I agree Adam that many trees were here before us and deserve to live and thrive wherever they may be. In fact they help filter the air as well as add to the beauty of many a landscape. Following this thread, the 'trees' in question are leylandii - often used to block off a neighbouring garden. We all hear of these hedges causing misery to many people left in permanent shade due to their prolific branches. These are being planted in many cases because the councils would not allow a 12 foot wall to be built in their place - surely this is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back