fan isolation switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
question can a fan Isolation switch be installed inside a bathroom as long as it inaccessible from a bath or shower say above the entry door high up and made of plastic or does it need to be on the outside before you answer could you read first 16th edition 601-08-01 or am I looking in the wrong place

Sponsored Links
Can you point me to the regs that say you can fit an ordinary rocker switch in zone three?

By the way when consulting the regs, have you read Amendment number 3 (AMD 10983) April 2000? This deals with the new zoning of bathrooms with respect to electrical equipment.

You can get off the web from IEE website.

To save any confusion you can buy a pull-cord triple pole isolator: Ashley make them. Then you are sure to comply.

Well - I don't know what reg number it is, but Paul Cook's book Commentary on IEE Wiring Regulations (and he ought to know) says:

"Switches are allowed in zone 3, however the use of pull cord switches is still to be recommended where reasonable." (my emphasis).

My reading of that is that it isn't compulsory to use a pull cord switch.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Can you point me to the regs that say you can fit an ordinary rocker switch in zone three?

Regulation 601-08-01

Something like:
Zone 2, switches / sockets etc cannot be installed other than selv.....

Zone 3, sockets other than selv, connection to portable equipment, fixed equipment in not protected by an RCD....

Any-hoos, mentions nothing about light / fan switches (in zone 3)....so it must be okay.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back