boiler not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had a new radiator fitted and since then can\\\'t get Potterton boiler to fire up. It starts and then switches off after 1minute. Is it faulty thermostat or something to do with new radiatior and air in system? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Has it just failed - and was it a paid-for tradesman who was adding the radiator ? If so, get them back to sort it out. At the very least they ought to have turned on your central heating and demonstrated the radiator was getting hot before you paid them !

But as for your question, if it was just a radiator, its may just be air in the system. Search the forum for "bleeding and radiator".

Need a bit more info - i.e. what model of Potterton, what kind of central heating (i.e. is it a sealed system - pressure might be too low now).

It's a potterton kingfisher with a honeywell thermostat - very old and dusty but was serviced last year. Um, the tradesman (an as yet unpaid friend ) has been back and checked there is no air in the system - or at least no air in the radiators. How do I check if the pressure is too low in the system...?
Thanks for replying. Its freezing....

Forget pressure it shouldn't be pressurised (!)
Is the pump turning? Has the boiler got hot when it stops? Have you bled the pump? (Unscrew the big central screw). Look for a bleed point possibly in the airing cupd/ by the HW cylinder where pipes go into the side of the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the system is airlocked. Boiler will be hot but no circulation means the burner will be switching off when boiler reaches thermostat temperature.

Thank you!!! Bleed point by HW in airing cupboard solved it. Boiler running dry as air lock in system. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back