Salamander Pump - Have seals gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a Salamander ESP CV75 shower pump installed alomg with some thermostatic bath taps. As bath taps didn't appear to working properly in that the water wasn't very hot even when the temperature control was set to the highest (ie over-rode safety stop) I cleaned the filiters on the tap inlets but still no joy. As the tap pillars were getting hot I knew hot water was getting to the inlet so I thought perhaps the cold was at a higher pressure than hot and hence causing a problem. So I stopped down the gate-valve on the cold water feed from the tank to the shower pump - but checked that there was still some cold water flow by turning on the basin tap.

This didn't solve the problem so I opened gate valve fully again. A bit later I ran my daughter a bath with the tap temperature control on full so at least she had a luke warm bath. Pump was running for about 10 mins. Upshot of this is that unbeknown to me the pump was spewing out water in the airing cupboard and leaked through ceiling. The pump is now 'spraying' out water out of what I would describe as the end cover (the large round bit that has about 6 threads through with nuts each end) on the cold inlet side of the pump whenever the pump runs. (doesn't seem to leak when pump not running).

Anybody any idea what has heppened - have I managed to destroy a seal or something, have I trashed the pump or do you suspect it was a faulty pump. This pump has 'dry-run' protection so should have cut out if I had inadvertantly cut the cold flow right off. If it is a seal can they be replaced.

(By the way I only starting fiddling as it was the weekend, we needed to have a bath/shower working and my plumber was away and I thought it would be simple to get the taps working. Next time I will definitely leave well alone :( )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
crap aint they

sorry hate salamander and everything about them since they let me down badly about five years ago when one of their **** shower pumps burst and caused a huge flood in my clientshouse

They said it was due to flux not being used, which was amazing as I use feckiing speed fit and compression to avoid this

it nearly went to court untill they chickened out and paid my costs

from that day I swore to rubbish everything about them

so any opinion from me is a wee bit biased

:)

and they are c r a p

Although the pump boasts many protection features I would be dubious if they actually work particulalry well.

If you shut off the cold feed to the pump and there was insufficient water on the cold side to operate the flowswitch the pump may have shut down.

If there was insufficient water in cold side impeller housing but the pump ran for 10 minutes the ceramic bearings may have overheated melting the rubber seals and hence the leak.

Some of these thermostatic bath mixers are of very poor design.
Sometimes they just require the cartridge re-calibrating - refer to the manual. Having taken temperature measuments in the past I have found the tempertaure scale printed on the valve bodies are often very non-linear and only an approximate guide ±5 centigrade is not uncommon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back