Vaillant TURBOmax Plus 824 E / 828 E Combi Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I seriously need some advice on this. The boiler in question is approx 7 years old and has never had any problems.

The HW stopped suddendly but only after I had used the CH for the first time in months. I tried the WARMSTART function and the indicator lights said that it was working but still no hot water. For some reason, by upping the thermostat, the HW came back on. When the timer turned the CH off, the HW went off as well, even though it's programmed to remain on continously. This time I put the CH on continous, hoping that the HW would work. No such luck.

The CH was put back on timer (which should have turned the CH off) however the CH wouldn't cut out and STILL no HW. The display read normal with no faults and the boiler was firing up normally.
I decided to reset the boiler by switching OFF the main control. BIG MISTAKE.

I switched the the main control back on but absolutely nothing happened. No lights (flashing or otherwise) no display, no heat and no hot water. I tried the RESET button to re-ignite the flame but no response. I topped up the system from 1 bar to 1.5 and still nothing.

I've checked and changed the fuse (13 AMP) to be on the safe side but there is no response at all from the boiler.

Could anyone make any sugestions? Could this be a simple thing or do I have to call out a Vaillant engineer and alert my bank manager????

Please, PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Diverter valves sticking can cause allsorts of strange problems with this boiler - they are however easy to check.

Firstly though the boiler is dead. Replace the fuse with the correct 3 Amp rated fuse.

I have not heard of a problem with the on off switch on these boilers but it may be possible the on/off switch spindle has broken. If you are competant remove the circuit board covers and check if broken.

Gasguru,

Thanks for this. I've changed the fuse to a 3 AMP (though the original one was also 13 AMP) however, still nothing.

I just about know what a circuit board looks like, I'm certainly not competent to know if there's a problem with it or if the ON / OFF switch spindle is broken.

I called a heating engineer, who felt that it could be the diverter valve and quoted £65.00 + VAT + Parts .....and labour?? (I'm about to call about for some quotes but does that sound right??)

Many thanks again

have had new bathroom put in this week by plumber who has been messing about with boiler, had a problem with pressure but have resolved that but now the water is not hotter enough and the radiators are far too hot we have turned the water temp to max and still not getting boiling water , have it serviced every year- last done oct 2010 no problems was ok till plumber started
any ideas would be greatfully received
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back