Corgi Gas Engineer Moaning , but right to !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All , just wanted to share my frustration this morning when i attended my first job , which was to move a gas supply pipe and relocate for a new gas hob.

1st job , check suitability of hob and location .
2nd job , look at existing appliances , gas pipework and carry out a tightness test .

This is where it all went wrong .

There was no Main Bounding at the meter , no seal on the Meter Regulator , the ECV fell to the on position .

I rang transco at 0944hrs , and they said its a 4 hour job (within 4 hours) and as at 1800hrs they still hadn`t turned up

New Worcester Bosch CDi boiler fitted 2 months ago , which in the MI states the gas supply should not be less than the gas inlet connection at the appliance (22mm) . The whole house is run from the meter in 15mm (Boiler , Hob and Gas Fire) , The boiler pipework rises to 22mm apx 300mm before it enters the boiler and is apx 6mtrs away from the meter . The condensate waste exits the boiler and rises through the wall to the outside , it drips condensate waste onto the worktop as a result
The job was done cheap , wrong and on the side.

I wonder if Worcester Bosch would offer any warranty on the installation

On talking to the customer she said that when the old boiler was running the flames dipped on the gas hob (not suprised)

If they did on the new one it get capped off and a warning notice issued and I still want paying , then when the gas pipe has been increased in size to suit the boiler I want paying again to come back and commission the hob again .

The guys that fitted it worked for a very large British based gas company, but they were doing the job , on the cheap , on the side and incompentantly.

Whats more is that these guys turned up in there works van to do the job !

If it`s you who has done it I hope you get caught .

Under cutting genuine installers and then doing the job wrong you deserve all you get.

If you have any gas work carried out on your property , try to get someone who has been recommended for there quality of work and not there price , make sure the person is CORGI registered in the capacity of work you require and that they show you their ID Card .

Arf :evil:

Sponsored Links
You are oblliged to fill out a RIDDOR form, I would say. Put the name of the "very large British based gas company" on it? Then your backside's covered and maybe somebody somewhere will be more careful in future.

HSE pass gas complaints to Corgi. If the installer isn't individually corgi registered of course, he's broke the law. It would be nice to think someone at Corgi would "have words" with the company if there are a lot of complaints, even if nothing's actually traceable.

No good moaning if you don't intend doing anything about it.

Thats just so British.

You know the number, the installer, and who they work for. start shouting.

Its your livelyhood they're pinching.

thought about riddor , but in unsafe sits , its classed as AR .

Thought , when i complete GWN , i would ask local inspectort choose that job to inspect , then he can find it an obtain the information from the customer as she didnt want to give it to me today , othert han to say they worked for a very large british based gas company .

arf

Sponsored Links
Knock on neighbours door, "hello I'm trying to gather information about an "AT RISK" gas situation next door, eher's my corgi ID. Your neighbour with the danbgerous appliance won't tell me who the installers were, did you happen to see their van?"

OR, are you going to tell me the company they work for or shall I ask the neighbours?

Sorry I'll rephrase that, can't you remember who they were, perhaps the neighbours saw their van?

Stop moaning and RIDDOR them i work for a Gas company but would still report whoever did a A.R. job on the sly

"""If they did on the new one it get capped off and a warning notice issued and I still want paying , then when the gas pipe has been increased in size to suit the boiler I want paying again to come back and commission the hob again ."""

You have not explained why you are working for!

Its as if you live in cloud cookoo land. If its the owners who have used a cheap unreg then dont expect them to be in a hurry to pay you. If its a landlord then they rarely pay.

AS suggested why not RIDDOR it but that will get nowhere unless the occupiers help.

When I riddored an exploded boiler they just wrote to the Landlord suggesting he got a CORGI in future.

Tony

Worcs cdi wp is 14.8 .
Les G on Gas News used to point out that if an appliance can't achieve its correct wp due to undersized gas pipes then that's ID. Not sure if the IUSP still say that.

I certainly wouldn't work on it until they'd agreed price for all pipework to be corrected. Otherwise walk away.

If a gas related incident occurs you are now very definitely "in the frame" as far as both HSE and Corgi are concerned. Get your little orange Corgi "unsafe situations" book out and follow it to the letter.

We've had an incident recently, and as a result of the visit from Corgi we are having to change quite a lot, even though as far as we were concerned we were doing it 'by the book'....or so we thought.

You have a duty to report it, if only to cover your own back. being the last engineer there and seeing it, even if you did not touch the job, makes you part of the problem.

I quote: Situation: Pipework significantly undersized preventing the appliance operating at the manufacturers intended gas input rating.

At Risk (but not a Riddor)

Why let the B******s get away with it.

Found a similar one the other day..Ariston combi on the far side of the house from the meter..all in 15mm, and feeding a gas fire.....15Mb drop!!!!
Its now in 22, but i'm glad i didn't get to do the job it was a bugger. I definitely did all the paperwork though!!

Alfredo

Its AR if the undersized pipe affects the operation of the appliance, otherwise it's ncs.....or I have got both of those one cat. short?, time for a look in the book.

Hi again , well been back to job today .

Last night the two guys turned up and increased the gas pipework to 22mm all the way to the meter . Guess the owner had listened to what I was moaning about and gave them a call .

I installed and completed my paper work today for the hob and have just completed GWN online .

I think the route i am going to take is with CORGI , the new boiler won`t have a GWC , and if the inspector goes to the job to check my installation he can discover the unregistered Woecester Boiler without completed Benchmark. (which he will have proir knowledge of cos I`m gonna tell him)

I think the chances of a result are better this way .

I am sure if the very large BRITISH based GAS company were aware of their actions they be sacked .

will keep you posted if CORGI reply .

Arf

A few observation :LOL:

The CDi is not a condensing boiler, one wonders if they found it in the back of their van.

Is the 22mm still large enough, boiler, hob, fire =4m³/hr, maximum length not counting any bends is less than 12m.

Pipework significantly undersized preventing the appliance operating at the manufacturers intended gas input rating.
At Risk
Well done for looking that one up Alfredo. Always thought it was a bit OTT before.
At least you got it put righter Arf

As dia says, it would be interesting to measure the inlet gas p at the boiler with everything on. Bet they didn't debur their pipe and it's still more than 1mbar drop.

bripl said:
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:24 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few observation

The CDi is not a condensing boiler, one wonders if they found it in the back of their van.
get back to your bed now dia the cdi is a condensing boiler they start with the 25cdi up to 40cdi
http://wb.campbellshaw.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.home&con_id=127777 :rolleyes:

Thats the Greenstar CDi not the CDi as posted, ok could be a typo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back