oven and hob.. too much for 30A?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Fitting a new kitchen. We've currently got a 30A standard control switch and the terminal box..

I need to fit a double under oven rated at 4.2kw, and an induction hob which is stated on the website as being "Total electrical connected load (kW): 7.2 ".

now, from what i understand i need to connect the hob to the 30A supply on its own, and i can run a fused spur off the 30A suplpy to run the oven.. is this right? Or can i wire in BOTH the hob and oven into the 30A outlet terminal?

Any help appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Start by taking the kW loads for each appliance and divide by (say) 230v... this will give you the amperage rating.

Now compare each of those amperages to the 30A cooker supply you already have, and the 13A that you can put through a plug and socket, or through a fused spur, both of which have max. 13A fuses in them.

Will they fit?

JohnD said:
Start by taking the kW loads for each appliance and divide by (say) 230v... this will give you the amperage rating.
No it wont.

7.2 / 230 = 0.0313~ amps.

However, if i take the pure wattage, the sums start to make sense! :LOL:

7200 / 230 = 31.3 amps!

Sponsored Links
okay, so lets sum up..

I think what youre both saying is that the hob alone will command the 30A supply.. So, what can i do with the oven?

Additionally, isnt there this whole thing about diversity or something ie nothing will ever be at full pelt at the same time as everything else.. in which case i could get away with both wired in to the 30A outlet (providing the wires fitted of course )?

ta..

adiwill said:
I think what youre both saying is that the hob alone will command the 30A supply.. So, what can i do with the oven?
I think you need two 30A supplies in 6mm cable. You can have a 20A MCB fitted to the one for the oven.

Although people talk about diversity, on Christmas day you will be boiling sprouts, peas, gravy and pudding on four rings; you will have the turkey in the main oven, and either potatoes and parsnips roasting or the mince pies and canapes warming in the second oven. Your MCB will trip. The moment you reset it all elements (having cooled) will draw max current and it will trip again.

nah it'll be fine, we go round the inlaws for christmas :D

Seriously though, can i not just plumb them both in to the existing 30? WE dont use the hob much anyway..
Can i have a definite "NO, NOW STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT !" , before i resign myself to the fact i dont want the hassle and just do it anyway?
Lifes very difficult you know..

No, fit a second circuit. Or buy a single oven that you can plug into a socket.

Or, BEST OF ALL, buy a Gas Hob. Quicker and more responsive, too.

You may have to get a new wife if your existing one was brought up by a mum with an electric cooker.

bah.. okay.. now, onto the next question then..

Theres a 45amp supply which used to go to a stairlift for the previous owners, and its next to the consumer unit.. could i utilise that?
And thirdly, can i do it myself or do i need a sparky? I was a wireman for a few years so wont bodge it, but are unsure of theory etc.

Edit: yes, but gas hobs are fugly.. whereas my nice new induction unit melts seamlessly into the black worksurfaces :D , and theyre terribly efficient dont you know..

It is in a kitchen, so if you (or some electricians) do it you will have to inform your local authority and have it inspected for compliance with building regulations, for a fee. If it is done by an electrician who is a member of one of the approved self-certification schemes he will take care of this and prove the necessary Certificate. (look at the Wiki on Part P and stuff, it will help you sleep.)

If you have an used MCB way in your consumer unit then it can very likely be used for the new circuit.

hmm the problem there is that its not an MCB consumer unit, its an old style fuse box (house and wiring is twenty years old)... and i think that an electrician will now not work on house electrics unless they are converted to an MCB system. Is this right?

No, but anyway, 50p says you have got a Wylex Standard, and MCBs are readily available to retrofit to them.

Something like this,

3b_1.JPG

:D the 45A supply... wasn't.. in fact it was a 45A box with a 15A fuse in it..

Anyway, cheers for the replies all :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back