heating system additives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the best way to add additives to my heaitng system, ive read a few different ways on here ( i have open vented sys, non combi boiler, hotwater tank header tank in loft, thermostat) would it be drain some water out of my system and add it to the header tank, or to isolate a rad and drain some out of it and inject the solution into said radiator?
just wondering really, think i might put some into my system as i dont know if or when it was last done

Sponsored Links
If you have a feed and expansion tank in the loft it is much much much easier to tip it there.

To get it mixed quicker: Tie up the ball-valve in the F&E and bale out most of the water from the F&E first. If it contains sediment, clean this out with a sponge. Tip in the inhibitor and mix it well with fresh clean water (otherwise it may settle to the bottom).

Then drain off a bucket or so from the drain-off cock on one of your radiators (if you haven't got any, this is a good time to add them) or elsewhere.

Then untie the float and the flow of water will wash most of the inhibitor down and into the system. Over a longer period, the slight movement of water from expansion and contraction of the water as it heats and cools will gradully mix the contents of the F&E down, but this takes a long time (especially if it is not well mixed).

BTW it is a good idea to give the system a good chemical clean and rinse first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back