Potterton Netaheat - HW but no CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new property in Dorking and I'm having difficulties with the Central Heating and wondered if I'm missing anything to get it going. Any help would be appreciated before I have to call someone out!!

The Potterton Netaheat Electric 16-22 fires up fine for the Hotwater (using timer and when over ridden) but we're not getting any heat from the radiators when it's on.

The thermostat is on max calling from heat, all the radiators are fully on (bled them to see if any air is in system - there wasn't). In the loft the pipes either side of the pump (a Grundfos) get very hot although I can't hear the pump on (are they normally very quiet?). There appears to be two 2 way valves (guessing one for CH and one for HW).

By moving the valve from Auto to manual I can get one radiator (the one nearest to the pump) a little warm but nothing else.

Not sure if the pump or valve is working properly or if I'm missing anything.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated since it's starting to get a little colder now!

Many thanks

Chris HB

Sponsored Links
As I think I have already told you on another forum, your pump is probably seized and needs spinning. See the FAQ here.

Do you need to be told the same thing by other professionals before you check it? The FAQ will tell you how to see if its turning.

Does the plumbing profession have a low public esteem ? If so what can we and the Institute do to address this problem?

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony

Yes you advised me to use this forum since the one I previously posted on was not for DIYers – hence this post.

Thank you for reminding me the pump may be seized but your previous suggestion of "You can spin the rotor if you find out how” didn't provide me with all the infomation I needed to undertake the job.

As per your suggestion I will check out the FAQ’s and see if the answer is there.

Responding to your new question i.e. the plumbing profession.

My experience has been that using the internet/yellow pages is very hit and miss in finding competent engineers who don’t rip you off to the tune of several £100’s. I have found that forums are a very good way to seek advice from professionals before undertaking the work yourself or at least having some knowledge before having to call someone out.

Many thanks

Chris HB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back