Painting New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This is the first time I have had to paint on to new plaster and find this site invaluable for the advice. The walls and celing have been skimmed approximately 4 days and looking to be drying off ok going the whitish pink people speak of, hopefully it will be dried off fully within the next few days.

After reading lots of threads I am considering painting the wall firstly with dulux trade matt emulsion watered down roughly with 30% water as I have read a time or two its the paint of choice when sealing the plaster.

Then purchasing a tin of B&Q Teflon Matt paint and maybe water down the first coat slightly (roughly how much?) then adding the final coat neat.

Would anyone envisage any problems with this, I would be absolutely devastated if I was to cock it up at the last hurdle.

Finally this may be a dumb question, but how do most of you go about watering down the paint, do you use a measuring jug and add to a new bucket or something?

Sponsored Links
I also forgot to mention I have always used and preferred paint pads to rollers or brushes when decorating, are pads ok to paint onto skimmed plaster with, no one seems to ever mention paint pads.

I have also noticed the new jonmat johnstones paint which is specially formulated for new plaster, would this be ok for sealing the plaster. it states on their website to water down by 20%

hi
new plaster evenly dried light pink,mistcoat 20percent water (no nead to b exact)rub down 240 grit next day,recoat with 10 percent water mistcoat ,leave till nxt day rub down GENTLY 320 grit and put full coat on . jos a good one.[/b][/u]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back