New cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It appears I have a 4mm wire from consumer unit to kitchen with a 32 amp trip. Is it ok to wire a dual fuel cooker pulling 11.1kw to this plus the cooker hood with light and extraction at 140w. Appreciate some expert advice.

Sponsored Links
As it is drawing over 46A when on full load I would say not. What does the instruction manual / manufacturer say? You can apply diversity to the 46A load but that isn't much concellation when it all goes pear shaped on xmas day and the mrs isn't happy ;) . 4mm² is rated at 37A max (clipped direct) before any correction factors are applied. Also please note that altering the circuit is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs.

Thanks Spark123 appreciate the response. I've just had another look at the main wiring and I now think its 6mm. Would that be alright. :)

How are you measuring the size of the cable? Does it say on it? How long is the cable and how is it installed? Have a play with: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html
What size MCB is specified by the manufacturer?
My appologies, I added this on after you replied to the last post;
"Also please note that altering the circuit is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs."

Sponsored Links
The cable is some 15 metres long from the consumer unit. The wire itself is awkward to get to as its above the cooker hood. Just compared it with 6mm cable from the local B&Q. Its looks about the same size - not a good measure I know. Can't see any markings on cable. The cooker hasn't been delivered yet, can't find MCB on web. I understand that as I am only extending the wire by some 2-3 metres that it isn't notifiable. :)

As a 32A supply is unlikely to be adequate for a 46A cooker then the MCB will need to be uprated which is I am affraid a notifiable task :cry: .
Can you contact the supplier and see what they specify?

Thnaks Spark123 really appreciate your response. I have tried several electricians to carry out this work and have been unsuccessful in finding anybody who wants to do this 'small' job. I'll keep trying. Thanks again. :(

Hornblower, don't be put off from doing this job yourself just because it is 'notifiable'. Your local council (a pity that this forum does not allow us to actually type our town name in, instead of limiting us to an arbitrary list!) will not charge very much to do the necessary and sign your work off. I live in Winchester, and they are very helpful.

if we were allowed to type our own town in, people would find all sorts of "funny" things to type in. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back