Loft Lighting Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light in the loft which is controlled by a switch, and is wired into the rose in the bathroom, however to have the light on in the loft we need to have the bathroom light on as well. I am about to put spot lights in the bathroom and would look to solve this other problem as well, any ideas why I have to have the bathroom light on as well and how I can rectify?

Sponsored Links
The loft light is fed from the bathroom ceiling rose.

It must have been taken from the Switched Live instead of the Live.

Have a look at the lighting wiring diags in "Electrics UK" forum Wiki if this is not clear.

http://www.mywatergarden.com/diy/lamps.gif (acknowledgements to Breezer)

Thanks John,

I have looked at the diagrams, so I have to link the loft wie into the live rather than the switched live?

If so how do I find this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks again John, however, there is only 1 red going to the rose? I have checked the pull switch for the bathroom light and there are 2 red's going to that, should it be cpnnected to one of the reds in the pull switch?

How many wires in total go to the switch, and what colours? And the same for the rose?

in the switch there is one red with grey casing going to the "in", and two reds going to the "out", plus two earths.
In the rose there is one red with grey casing and 1 black (plus the red and black from the loft light), plus the earth

I think that probably the Red Single with grey Sheathing in the switch is really the "out" switched live going to the ceiling rose.

If there are two reds joined together, that is probably the permanent live.

You say there are no Black in the switch. Are there some close to it in a connector block stuffed into the ceiling? The two reds you mention probably come from T&E cables that you can't see.

The red from the loft light, yes. The black to the associated blacks that you haven't found yet, but do exist somewhere.

Alternatively go up in the loft, find where the wires drop in to the ceiling rose and trace wire back to junction/joint box. It may be a case that your lights have been spider wired. Look under insulation for a junction/joint box, they are usually white circular plastic with a central screw on top or screw off lid. Then you should be able to tap into the live at this point and run to your switch/loft light ceiling rose. The key is to finding the live, not a switched live. Remember to turn electric off before connecting.

Hope this helps.

JohnD said:
I think that probably the Red Single with grey Sheathing in the switch is really the "out" switched live going to the ceiling rose.

If there are two reds joined together, that is probably the permanent live.

You say there are no Black in the switch. Are there some close to it in a connector block stuffed into the ceiling? The two reds you mention probably come from T&E cables that you can't see.

I think otherwise, the two reds joined together are [1] switched to the bathroom rose and [2] the (should be permanent ) live to the loft.

The single red is the live feed. So move the wire going to the loft to the same side of the switch as the permanent live.

It sounds like your lighting circuit may be wired in singles which would explain why it’s been wired so that the bathroom light needs to be on for the loft light to work as the cable to the loft light is probably twin & earth. If it is wired in singles then there won’t be a permanent live in the rose as it loops through all the switches then the neutral loops through all the roses with a switched live single from the switch to the rose.

If this is the case then to get the loft light on its own permanent supply the best course of action would be to get hold of some 1.5mm red/brown single cable (with grey outer sheath) and connect it to the live feed in the switch, then run it over to the rose and connect it to the red that goes to the loft light. Bingo your loft light is now on its own supply.

If you don’t feel up to doing this yourself then its best to call a pro, plus as your modifying the circuit wiring and the fact that its in the bathroom I think it means its notifiable (Part P), one of the pros on here will be able to clarify this.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back