Cavalier ignition barrel jammed (k reg -92)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of unseizing a steering lock mechanism or removing/replacing an ignition barrel.

My steering lock is jammed and the key wont turn to unlock or start the engine. I have tried rocking the steering wheel whilst turning the key this has not worked and also lubricating. I have begun to remove the steering column cover to investigate removing the barrel to look for any obvious fault/break.

Someones help would be most appreciated.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the lock barrel needs changing..... Problem is if you can't turn the key you will have to butcher the lock barrel to replace it.Best bet is to remove the whole column to work on it...Haynes Manual will explain column removal etc.

;)

Thanks Jonny,

I have tried today to turn the key and push the release clip via the small hole in the barrel assembly but have had no joy

Tried today to remove the barrel assembly but the bolts seem to be of the sheer type. Will have to get Haynes manual I think.

Need to find some car thieves be done in 2 mins ;)

Cheers

Mike,
You can get the sheer bolts out using a good centre pop.Spring loaded ones are the best for this job.Pop them on the edge of the bolt at a straight angle then carry on popping them anticlockwise in the indent you have already made, the bolts usually undo quite easily.

;)

Sponsored Links
Mike,Johnyfishing is right,a centre pop will usually move the shear bolts,although the vauxhall manual suggests drilling them and using an "easyout"extractor.You may find that just slacking the shears will allow the lock to unjam and function again.I think you have to get the key to the "O"position to get the whole barrel out if it comes to that.A chap with a Frontera on a vauxhall forum I help on had the same as you,last week,his jammed lock came back to life after slacking the shears and putting a bit of oil on the locking pin.

Cheers Guys, Took your advice and have fitted a new barrel.

Thanks for your assistance.

Back