Underground Cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am in the process of starting to build a boat house (workshop) near to my property.

It will have heavy voltage use such as welders etc and lights and heating.

My problem is that an electrician i have asked said that the best way is to bury the cable underground from my house and it should be big enough to power a house and may have to be 25square or 35square armoured because of the amount of power i will use, he wasnt sure what size exactly.

The distance along or under the path is 90 meters and it will be 240 volt.

I cannot or do not want a new overhead connection fitted because i am told i will have to remove many trees which will devastate the place.

I want everthing ready for when each workman is to start so can somebody tell me 1. What size cable and 2. Where is the best place to buy it from over the internet if it works out cheaper.

Thanks

Nothing to do with me

Mod Rupert

Sponsored Links
Do you have (or are you getting) a 3 phase supply to you property? or will the house and shed be fed off a single phase supply?

What size welders etc will you be using?

How many big and small tools will you have in the workshop?

RF the poster did say

Rupert Bear said:
The distance along or under the path is 90 meters and it will be 240 volt.

Mr Bear, it really depends on the load as to the cable size, (then distance which we know) thatis why RF is asking what you will be using (its rating) so an answer can be given

:eek: Heavy Voltage ?????

I think we need to know what the total 'loading' in watts or amps that you intend to require at this boat house is. As advising on "as much as a house" could be a bit mis-leading and end up with you getting the wrong figures for your calculations.
I don't mean to sound abrupt, but need to know more to advise properly.

Have you a single phase supply ?

Main fuse rating at the head ?

Cheers

Bit late, sorry ! :oops:

Sponsored Links
I have 240 volt at the house standard electrics but at the boat shed there will be lighting and a couple of electric heaters together with my mig welder which is 240volt, my work is repairing and hopefully manufacturing small Aluminium boats and associated work.

Other equipment will be just power tools i.e. grinders and drills etc.

They're asking for max Amps load (or Watts).

thats nice, but we still need to know the rating, not the voltage

Maybe if you found out the maximum demand , in amps, that your existing house needs, then take that away from the main fuse rating and it leaves you with what you have left for use !!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Not much......

Sorry the max power on my mig welder is 350 amps but i hope to have another man helping me so there will be more than one tool/machine in operation together with the usual things.

That's (hopefully :eek: ) the secondary current of the welder.We need to know the primary current ie does the welder plug in a standard 13A socket or some other method.There might be a rating plate on the side casing?

Rupert Bear said:
Sorry the max power on my mig welder is 350 amps but i hope to have another man helping me so there will be more than one tool/machine in operation together with the usual things.

OK, well you go away and work out the total wattage of your equipment, and decide what will be that max you will use at any time, then come back and tell us.

The alterative is for us to guess, which is useless.

My welder plugs into a plastic 3 pin socket the industrial type that you screw together not the small household plug, all welders have this type of plug for 240 volts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back