More Showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Gainsborough RE600 shower (rating unknown) and intend replacing it with a Triton 9.5kW shower. The cable is 4mm.
Is this a problem? I think the RE600 is 9.5 but am not sure.
By the way, I'm a clanky type, not a greeny!

Sponsored Links
4mm²????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do me a favour. Open the shower switch up with the power off, and tell me what you see.

50p says its full of melted plastic and the switch no longer operates. If it isn't you've been very lucky indeed.

Dont use the shower again until you've replaced it with at least 6mm². However, since you're replacing the cable, you might as well go for 10mm².

4mm² will carry 37A IIRC, if run in free space. Your shower is 41 amps (ish)

the RE600 is 8.5Kw, so 4mm is okay but you need to upgrade for a 9.5Kw shower. As crafy said, 10mm should be okay - unless you have a long run or the cable is affected by external factors (eg run through insulation)

Thanks to both
Didn't know the RE600 is 8.5 (lost the paperwork). Ill get a new cable run in.
Crafty, 50p please.
DE

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
4mm²????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do me a favour. Open the shower switch up with the power off, and tell me what you see.

50p says its full of melted plastic and the switch no longer operates. If it isn't you've been very lucky indeed.

Dont use the shower again until you've replaced it with at least 6mm². However, since you're replacing the cable, you might as well go for 10mm².

4mm² will carry 37A IIRC, if run in free space. Your shower is 41 amps (ish)

:?: Hi Guys, I am not an electrician, but doesn't the current draw go up as the voltage goes down? i.e. if the voltage dropped to say 220V(I have seen this many times) the cable will need to carry nearly 39 amps.
So I am assuming that 4mm should not really be used???
Any thoughts???? :?:

WF100 said:
:?: Hi Guys, I am not an electrician, but doesn't the current draw go up as the voltage goes down? i.e. if the voltage dropped to say 220V(I have seen this many times) the cable will need to carry nearly 39 amps.

if the voltage goes down, then you need to increase the current *in order to maintain a constant power* (Power = Voltage x current), in a resistive load this doesn't happen, the current actually reduces as well (Current = voltage / Resistance),

9.5kw shower on 240v will take 9500/240 = 39.58A and has a resistance of 240/39.58 = 6.06 ohms

Put the same shower on 230v and the resistance is still 6.06 (its about the only thing thats constant-ish here), which means it'll draw 230/6.06 = 37.95 Amps, which gives it a power of 37.95 x 230 = 8.73kw (the change in power is in proportion the the change in voltage squared - [ P=V²/R])

Regardless of which, neither 4mm² nor WF100 would do! (I wouldn't put it past some though!)

I remember once being told by a drip that they always use 6mm2 cable on a shower as it is easier to work with :eek:
He tried to use it on mine until I said he was putting in 10mm2 and I watched him do it.

Or bind the cable to the cold water pipe, cools the cable and pre-heats the water......

That is a JOKE..... DO NOT do it.

Or bind the cable to the cold water pipe, cools the cable and pre-heats the water......

That is a JOKE..... DO NOT do it.

Sadly seen it done and frequently

Also seen cable run INSIDE the water pipe to a shower

Adam_151 said:
neither 4mm² nor WF100 would do! (I wouldn't put it past some though!)

Wasn't there a picture not so long ago of a socket wired in coax???? :eek: :LOL:

Might've been mine... :eek:

Co-AxSocket.jpg

SUNRAY

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

Ah - that's a difference between you and I.

I see absolutely no point in mincing around with euphemisms - the meaning is clear and doesn't change, so what's the point in putting lipstick on a pig? Use the L word....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back