Lighting from ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..could someone please tell me if it is acceptable to spur off a ring main to a light in 2.5 T&E so that an FCU is not needed..Someone asked me this and i could not find a reg that conflicted? Thanks guys :D

Sponsored Links
i belive it is not considered safe by the regs to put BC or ES lampholders on a protective device above 16A or to put SES or SBC lampholders on a protective above 6A but i'm not positive.

for other types of light its down to the manufacturers instructions.

thanks but where or what reg states this ..surlely the ring main fuse is to protect the cable and if in 2.5 then the cable is protected.

Sponsored Links
I guess not unless the light is fused internally ..just trying to avoid having another point on an already crowded wall. Thanks for the opinions guys (still didnt get a reg though!!) :LOL:

you can use the FCU as the swtich btw

you can also use something like grid plus to put one fuse and a group of switches on a single plate.

If you're fitting an FCU, put a 5A fuse in it. Then your lighting spur is properly fused. And it only needs to be 1.5mm (or 1mm if you're mean).

If it was me I would put a durable label on the FCU "Lighting circuit: 5A Fuse" as someone will one day want to put a brown one in there.

BTW I would have sworn that ordinary light switches and lampholders are manufactured to carry 10A max, and the small SES or SBC are made for 5A max. So they would not be "suitable" (catch-all) for a 13A or higher circuit.

as i stated i was looking for a reg that does not allow lighting on a 2.5 without an FCU, assuming the light is rated or internally fused accordingly then i can find no problem with this?
I am by the way an approved spark and am aware of the function of spurs :rolleyes:

May not be a reg to prevent this but would you call it "good practice"?

its called isolation and seperation of circuits and although you might not find a specific reg that says this if you require a certificate in the near future for insurance or selling the house theres no way that it will get signed off.

I have 2391 inspection and testing and see no relevance in your comment..sorry but i disagree..you do not need seperation of these circuits and neither do you need isolation other than that afforded by the breaker at the cu. ;)

so you would quite happily wire a 60w light into a ring main with no fcu?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back