Noisy Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an extension built with a bathroom and bedroom. Now I've moved into the bedroom, I've realised how noisy the radiator is, clicking and popping for 25 mins when you turn on the heating, the same when you turn off and also the pipes creaking very loudly under the floorboards at the same time. I now can't have the central heating on at any time near bedtime as it keeps me awake. It's driving me bonkers! From reading other posts it's obvious to me that its contraction/expansion, meaning that the plumber hasn't fitted it perfectly and I really need to take up the carpet and floor and do some remedial work - but do what? Should I lag the pipes? do they need to be clipped wherever they cross the joists etc? It's only a job I'm going to do once, so I need to do it right. (My plumber doesn't seem interested and thinks it's something I should live with). Any help would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
PARTPISGREAT said:
Should I lag the pipes?
I would lag the pipes wherever they touch wood, and especially where they run in notches in joists.

Usually, clipping won't solve a creaking problem because the pipes will still expand when heating up, and if they're in contact with wood then you'll get creaking.

However, pipes should always be clipped, so if you can prevent contact with wood by adding clips then go ahead.

Sponsored Links
"Celafelt" (cheap lagging) works, as does ptfe tape - though I don't know how long that might last!
Also check the rad isn't creaking as it moves along the rad brackets. If it's that, lift the rad and drop a small V shape of mains cable, just one core, in, so it rests between the rad and bracket.

Softus - Many thanks, I'll do that. it's a very long pipe run (6.5m) so there's lot's of notches, so lot's of potential places. I'm sure that's it.

ChrisR - As well as doing what Softus suggests, I'll use the "Celafelt" as well. That's a really good tip about the rad brackets, thinking about it, I'm sure that's what some of the noise is.

Thanks to both of you for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back