rendering on paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to render the outside of my bungalow. The brickwork is currently painted and in very good condition, no flaking at all and is sound. Does anyone know if it will be OK to just PVA the brickwork before rendering or if it will need metal sheet lath applying.

Sponsored Links
PVA? a water based glue is not a good idea on the outside of a building. See this for further information. You'll have to read a lot of quotes in the thread because Freddie did a lot of self-censoring in Feb 2006.

I reckon you're asking for trouble if you do that. The bond between the paint and the wall is highly unlikely to take the weight of the render even if you use a PVA or SBR to bond the render to the paint.

Sponsored Links
suggest using stainless steel metal lath fixed with stainless screws and stainless penny washers!

Just wondering why you are wanting to render sound painted brick work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back