WHAT SORT OF WOOD IS BEST?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My late-seventies Kentucky front door is past its best - to put it mildly!

The infuriating thing about this door during the course of the years is that, every wet autumn we have had, the door has swollen to such an extent it is extremely difficult to open/close it! I have various men planing it over the years but it still swells up!

As the door is now beyond redemption I will shortly be buying a replacement front door. As I would like a door which doesn't keep swelling up every time it rains please could someone advise as to the best type of wooden door to buy - preferably one which is reasonably environmentally friendly and hasn't come from endangered sources?

I don't fancy PVC

Sponsored Links
Well the reason it swells up is because the edges haven't been sealed and painted. This lets moisture into the grain causing the swelling. Think about that when you get your next door, and you won't have to get all these men round ;)

Any door you get is unlikely to be from an endangered species, the only main requirement is that it's hardwood. Any local timber merchant will stock something suitable.
Although it might just be easier to get a local joiner to supply and fit, an ill fitting front door can mean draughts and leaks.

Deluks said:
Well the reason it swells up is because the edges haven't been sealed and painted. This lets moisture into the grain causing the swelling. Think about that when you get your next door, and you won't have to get all these men round ;)

Any door you get is unlikely to be from an endangered species, the only main requirement is that it's hardwood. Any local timber merchant will stock something suitable.
Although it might just be easier to get a local joiner to supply and fit, an ill fitting front door can mean draughts and leaks.

Thanks, Deluks, for your advice! I did seal and varnish the door before it was fitted but I seem to remember the man cutting the door to fit it! I will have to be ready with the sealer and varnish when the next door is fitted!

I will now look up the local Timber merchants to see if they sell doors!

This guy is worth speaking to. If you can afford it, get an oak door, made properly it will work well and last for generations.

Think before you varnish, it is a never ending task to keep the door in good condition, and will need stripping back so the thickness doesn't build up and, er, cause the door to jam. Oak won't need varnishing.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
This guy is worth speaking to. If you can afford it, get an oak door, made properly it will work well and last for generations.

Think before you varnish, it is a never ending task to keep the door in good condition, and will need stripping back so the thickness doesn't build up and, er, cause the door to jam. Oak won't need varnishing.

Thanks, Oilman, for your advice. Oak doors seem attractive but I will have to shop around for one I can afford - I have just done a Google on Oak doors and have seen various prices! I am warming to the idea of oak not requiring varnishing though - I hate the job!

Lynda67 said:
................ - I hate the job!

Oh dear. So did I until I found out how to do it properly, then it's a nice job.

You need something like one of the yatch varnishes, not the sort that dries in half an hour. You rub the wood down, hoover the dust off, wipe with a tack rag, then start varnishing. Using a varnish brush, not a cheapie paint brush. The first coat wont look much, the second wont look much either, nor will the third or fourth. Then there's a dramatic change at the fifth and it starts to look good :D after that it's just another three coats and you will have a gleaming door :) until next year, when you rub it down and do a couple of quick maintenance coats. Really satisfying :D

We've got a wooden boat not far from you, needs varnishing every year, :(
if you want to know how to varnish, go and see one of the boatyards

oilman said:
Lynda67 said:
................ - I hate the job!

Oh dear. So did I until I found out how to do it properly, then it's a nice job.

You need something like one of the yatch varnishes, not the sort that dries in half an hour. You rub the wood down, hoover the dust off, wipe with a tack rag, then start varnishing. Using a varnish brush, not a cheapie paint brush. The first coat wont look much, the second wont look much either, nor will the third or fourth. Then there's a dramatic change at the fifth and it starts to look good :D after that it's just another three coats and you will have a gleaming door :) until next year, when you rub it down and do a couple of quick maintenance coats. Really satisfying :D

Thanks, Oilman, I think I will save up for an oak door anyway! I will bear in mind your varnishing tips in case the money falls short of an oak door! I am not sure about having to do eight coats each year though - although I see why it has to be done!

Lynda

Lynda67 said:
............. I am not sure about having to do eight coats each year though ..........

Nor am I, I'd skimp and do two. :LOL:

PS look at the link I added above.

oilman said:
Lynda67 said:
............. I am not sure about having to do eight coats each year though ..........

Nor am I, I'd skimp and do two. :LOL:

PS look at the link I added above.

I will have to look at the boatyard sometime - it won't be too much trouble to nip onto a train to Hoveton then stroll to the boatyard - don't hold your breath for me to do it - things keep cropping up at the moment!

If you have room, I rather like using lift-off hinges. That makes it much more easy to treat the top and bottom of the door, especially after they have been planed or trimmed.

I am not very good at joinery and door hanging, and find that if I take a door off by unscrewing the hinges, it tends to go back slightly different from how it was before.

Oops, sounds like you have to put effort into travel. Ludham is quite some stroll. This would be a nearer place. (depending on your location of course).

JohnD said:
...............I am not very good at joinery and door hanging, ............

Oh well, that's you off the altar then............ :LOL: :LOL:

Deluks said:

Oh dear. Sadly, the state of the world timber trade is such that it is very difficult to establish the provenance of a piece of tropical hardwood. The stuff is shipped about via places where false documentation is easily obtained. Just use European oak if you care about the planet.

Just a footnote: the back of our house faces the sea and gets soaked and battered by westerlies. Last year we fitted a steel/wood/steel composite back door, which has proved to be excellent. It is strong (extra security bonus) heavy and completely inert, as well as being well insulated and perfectly sealed against drafts and water. We had it installed with a new frame. Worth every penny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back