Hagar MT132 - can I have a 8.5kW shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 7.2kW shower which is connected to a Hagar MT132 next to the fuse box. Can I have an 8.5kW shower? My understanding is that I cannot because it is 32amp and an 8.5kW shower needs 40amp. But I want to check this before I have the fitting changed and a new wire pulled through. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Next to the fuse box? Could you post a picture on here? Is it in a seperate white enclosure? If so it will be easy to change for one of a higher rating.

an 8.5kw shower requires 36 amps, so you'd have to up the MCB rating, which is an easy job. Your electrician will advise.

I wouldn't change an MCB until I have verified the cable is adequate to take the additional load too. Like Crafty says, consult a local spark as this work is notifiable to LABC under part P of the building regs.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I was trying to find out whether replacing my shower was a job I was allowed to do myself - which it obviously isn't. Annoying, because elecitricians are so busy!

Sponsored Links
Legally you are allowed to do the work yourself if you notify your local area building control and pay their fee before you do it. The fee you pay to LABC may be more than the cost of a spark though.

Spark123,

If I got an electrician to change the MCB unit and pull through a new wire (assuming the current one is no good) and fit a new shower (but I bought the shower myself) what sort of sum of money would I be looking at?

(I realise you can't give me an exact figure, I just want an idea of what money I need ready for the job.)

MCB swap and test - 30 mins
shower swap and test - 30 mins
cable - depends on the route. run it yourself, then the electrician just has to connect up. Make sure he can still see its route when he arrives.

He will have to connect the wire both ends and to the switch, make good, test and inspect, allow up to 90 minutes @ between £25 and £35 per hour, though this varies around the country and from spark to spark, and the electrician may add on bits for the distance travelled, grief factor when using customer-supplied stuff, and other things we cannot see.

I meant simply disconnecting the old one, mounting and connecting the new one, excluding plumbing. Just the work at the shower itself, not the switch or running cable . . . Maybe an hour would be a more appropriate guess. What have I missed RF?

Driving to the job, nip to wholesalers for parts, upgrade bonding etc, testing, replace the shower, fill in the paper work, load car, cup of tea, bait time, leave job and go to pub.
You've got a lot to learn Crafty lol. :LOL:

no one has mentioned an rcd :eek:

also full equipotential bonding, gas and water is now required.

I could have sworn I mentioned upgrade bonding etc. Although it best practice to have a shower protected by RCD, it is not a requirement of BS7671 to do it. It is only mandatory if the manufacturer specifies it. This is the sort of thing the spark would advise on when attending the job.

Spark123 said:
I could have sworn I mentioned upgrade bonding etc. Although it best practice to have a shower protected by RCD, it is not a requirement of BS7671 to do it. It is only mandatory if the manufacturer specifies it. This is the sort of thing the spark would advise on when attending the job.

rubbish, read your regs.

Zone 1
Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located in zone 3 or beyond. If the fitting is 240v, a 30mA RCD must be used to protect the circuit.

ELZ4742 said:
Spark123 said:

rubbish, read your regs.

Zone 1
Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located in zone 3 or beyond. If the fitting is 240v, a 30mA RCD must be used to protect the circuit.

I don't think so, what does 601-09-02 say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back