30 Amp Poser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, anyone help a new user with a question. Having read all about installing a cooker I'm stiil a bit confused. I have just replaced my old cooker with a new Teba. Now the old ones maximum usage was 10.7 kilowatts and the Teba is max use 9.6 Kw, the old one has run for years on a circuit with a 30 amp fuse, but the instructions say this teba needs minimum 50. I have installed the new one and it seems to be working OK (except the one time grill was on it stinks,but maybe this is just because it new) is everything going to be OK or will I need to upgrade? ? ? ? ? ?

Sponsored Links
Aquaman, if it works on the 30A then it will certainly not damage the cooker. One reason why it will handle load though is that rewirable fuses, if that is what it is, will allow up to 1.8 times their rated load to pass through them before they blow.

HOWEVER 9.7kW is only 42.7A (9700/230), therefore the maximum fuse or MCB in place should not exceed 45A.

FWL_Engineer said:
Aquaman, if it works on the 30A then it will certainly not damage the cooker. One reason why it will handle load though is that rewirable fuses, if that is what it is, will allow up to 1.8 times their rated load to pass through them before they blow.

HOWEVER 9.7kW is only 42.7A (9700/230), therefore the maximum fuse or MCB in place should not exceed 45A.

Hey thanks very much for the quick reply !!!! So everything should be safe for me then?
Whilst you about FWL can I be cheeky see if you know the answer to one futher question. Between the cooker on/off control switch and the cooker, there is a junction box, all this seems to do is join the wires. As it is an ugly box on the wall, is there anything I can buy so I can sink the box and wire in wall? Thanks in advance!

Junction box, or cooker outlet plate similar to this:

CM2177.jpg

:?:

There are neater ones, BTW, but this is the most "obvious" in what it does.

I dont know what burying anything would accomplish - the connections have to be accessible, and anyway, the cable has to exit the wall somehow....

Sponsored Links
Ban beat me to it :D

Regarding burying the cable, do you meant the cable that links the ON/OFF switch to the connection unit where the cooker connects into?

If you do, then this should be buried in the way, or you could buy a length of MMT3 surface mini-trunking to cover the cable, but it should have some mechanical protection.

If you simply mean the cable from the cooker to the connection unit, there is not a lot you can do about this.

thanks folks ! you people are quick! I only want to run the wire under two tiles from the face plate(pictured above) to come out behind the cooker into the cooker connection terminals. Its because the old cooker was taller, and now I can see a big ugly wire, and because the ceramic hob fits flush against the wall I can't use trunking. So i think I'll keep the plate and bury the wire from this under the wall and use some trunking then tile over that. By the way FW just reading your first reply, just so Im clear can I leave it running of the 30Amp fuse or are you saying I should get a 45amp?
Thanks again, sorry to be a pain, last question I promise

Suggest you have a longer buried cable from the cooker control and move the outlet plate lower down the wall, rather than bury the cable from the outlet plate to the cooker. The outlet plate is meant to give you a neat and protected way to have a cable emerge from the wall.

As for 30/45A, it depends on what the size of the cable is, rather than the appliance - do you know what yours is?

Sorry not sure of official wire rating, but measures about 16mm by 6mm, and your right, its a good idea to move the plate down.thanx :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back