tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have seen lovely beading tiles, can i put them on top of my original plain white tiles, and how do i do that, thankyou, in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Hilda,

it's not normal to put a decorative beading over the top of tiles, but if you insist!

The biggest problem is keeping them in situ until the adhesive dries/cures.

So I suggest, using a level - attach a nice straight batten with the top edge where you wish the bead to sit. Carefully fix with a couple of nails through the grout of the tiles.

Then attach the bead to the tiles using a suitable adhesive (will tell you on the back of the tub if suitable).

Next day, remove the batten and fill the holes in the grout.

And voila!

thankyou mild mannered janitor, i will see and try? but i know you can tile on top of original tiling.

No prob Hilda, glad to help out where I can!

Yes people do tile over tiles, that's common practice, though I like to remove if possible, clean slate and all that.

One thing that occurred to me tho, is that because you are only putting a decorative bead around is that there is no support (tiles have the support of surrounding tiles and grout). It may be worth scoring the glaze of the tiles you are going over to provide a 'key' (stronger adhesion or grip) and/or over a grout line (being porous, again will 'key' better).

Good luck! :D

Sponsored Links
Just a suggestion,
You could use masking tape across the tiles wall where the beading going and drill thru' the masking tape with a small sharp masonary drill bit very carefully approx 2 hole per tile (not near the edge and no hammer action),then removed the tape and bedded it on with a suitable tile adhesive onto the batten as mildmanneredjanitor suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back