Smeg cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new Smeg cooker and need to fit it. My old cooker was wired direct from the mains cable to the cooker but the smeg cooker has wires coming from the back and i was wondering whether i could just attach a plug and then plug that into the wall. I presume i would be ok to attach a faceplate to the exisitng soxket and wire that up.
Does anyone know if the above is ok?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a gas cooker or an electric cooker? What was the old one? What do the instructions say about wiring it?

How can you possibly consider how to connect an appliance to a supply without knowing:

The rating of the appliance in Watts?

The circuit cable & CPD size & length?

it is an electric cooker and the instructions do not make much sense to me, it does state to use an qualified electrician but dont they all say this to cover themselves?

The model is a Smeg SE378MFX5 if that helps

I have no idea about the wattage as i am currently at work!

Any help would be fantastic

Sponsored Links
If it is an electric cooker you cannot use a plug and socket.

When you get home look at the instructions. they will tell you the power rating of the cooker and how it should be connected.

If you have a circuit for an electric cooker, look in the consumer unit and see what the MCB for that circuit is marked (e.g. B32). Tell us what sort of switch and outlet you used for your old cooker, and whether it was gas or electric. Also tell us how old you think the house and electrical installation are, this will give some other clues.

I have just located iot on the Smeg website.
It states that it has nominal power of 2.10kw and a 13 amp power supply required.

Approx 1 year ago i had an electrician friend wire the old cooker up and he installed a new socket with suitable wiring etc. Unfortunately the old cooker was wired direct from the mains to the cooker, the new one already has wires coming out the back and i am not sure if i should just connect the two sets of wires up? if so how would i do it as the wires from the wall are approx 3 times thicker

But you said it was an Electric Cooker. Does have Electric Rings? Or a Ceramic Hob? If so it cannot possibly run on a plug and socket.

Yes, a plug and socket are correct for that single oven.

If you have an Electric Hob, leave that connected to your cooker circuit and plug the oven into another socket. If you have a gas hob, so the coooker circuit is unused, you can take off the large connector plate and fit a socket instead if you wish. Clean the old connector plate, put it in a clear plastic bag and tie or tape it in position next to the outlet so it can be refitted when next needed.

You will find the wires behind the cooker connector plate are very big. Buy a single unswitched socket by a good brand (MK, Crabtree, MEM) which will have large terminals. Also buy a deep surface fitting plastic box in case you can't squeeze the socket into place over the big wires. You will be using the big cooker switch to turn the oven off.

JohnD

Where can i buy a deep surface fitting plastic box. What do they look like?

From a place that sells electrical accessories. Tell them you want a box for a cooker outlet. It is like a single socket box but deeper. Get a couple in different depths (20mm, 35mm, 44mm) as you don't want excessive depth, but you do want ample room to form the wires without stress. Should be in the 65p to £1.50 range each.
You can punch out the back of the box to run the wires in.

p1685458_l.jpg

Wow, I'm going through exactly the same process with my new smeg cooker and this thread has been very useful.

Question I have tho is, cooker circuit is on a 40A MCB, should the fuse be changed in line with the 13A appliance on the circuit?

Sorry if this is thread hi-jacking...

If you put a 13A socket on the end of the cable, then the fused plug itself will fuse it down to 13A for the cooker, so you don't have to. But you can if you want. 20A MCB would be suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back